Serious subject

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by RyanG, Nov 1, 2010.

1. RyanG

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

I wrote this for another site but it translates to this site as well, so forget some of the names and locations involved and just take it for what it is. To those of you I had in mind when writing it...thank you.

SO...

There has been a lot of hubbub about ______'s thread, some misconceptions on how that thread went after a few pages, some issues with some people on "gay bashing" and bullying.

How did ______ change you?

Myself I came into this lovely place and had some prior experiences with gay people. I have an Aunt who is a lesbian, we live in a very small town and its fairly conservative, she lives her life very secretatively. She is open with her sexuality but I would say she makes a concerted effort to live her life very privately. I also have a friend who when growing we all knew there was something "different" about but never confronted him about it. He is also gay and lives his life very secretively but is also open about his sexuality.

I came to ______ thinking that this is how all homosexuals lived, I also thought it was ok to use the work gay as an adjective to describe a situation. I thought nothing of hearing people called fags, queers or homos. I wasn't a bigot but I allowed others to be bigots around me without saying anything.

Now I don't allow it around me, even at the risk of ostracising myself at work or with my friends and family. I don't allow it at all, I find it offensive. This has also translated with people of different skin colors, religious views and eating choices(odd but true).

So as much as we worry about how much things may lead the outsider to come to misguided conclusions ______ has actually made me a better person. Its openness about humanity and how it operates changed me, don't let it change for the sake of being politically correct all the time.

RyanG, Nov 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. RyanG

So all emotional stuff aside, a member on another sites comments and views on certain things really made me think about the person I am today and how due to me getting into reefing and therefore these online forums I have really changed. It made me realize that if the person I am today met the person I was three or four years ago, how much I would detest being around myself.

So once again, thank you all for helping me make the changes to the person I am today.

RyanG, Nov 1, 2010
    dcantucson and PRC like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. RyanG

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

very nice post Ryan.

PRC, Nov 1, 2010
    RyanG likes this.
  4. RyanG

lilduud

in all honesty... ive had my moments of not particularly fancying, or agreeing with you....
    but you completely just changed my impression, and im very glad.
    its a rare thing for someone like me to have my mind changed like that; but its always a wonderful experience.

lilduud, Nov 1, 2010
    RyanG likes this.
  5. RyanG

Thanks lilduud, I know that I can be an ass a lot of times.

RyanG, Nov 1, 2010
  6. RyanG

dcantucson

It is always nice when one realizes that they have changed for the better. Very nice post Ryan. We all have differences; if we could only embrace them openly.

dcantucson, Nov 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question