Seriously Frustrated

Spaz059

Reefing newb
Ok, here is the thing for some reason I cannot get my overflow and return pump to work in unison, even with a ball valve. There is no way my pump is giving enough gph and it is really pissing me off. I'm about to get rid of this sump all together and just get a canister! Someone please help, I don't want all this time effort and money to go to waste...

It has a U tube and it is rated for 800 and the pump is rated at 656 i dumped the 1056 because it was taking to much water out of my sump to fast.

The pump you're using now definitely isn't big enough, you should have the 1056 on there and dial that down with the ball valve. It may take a little while, making very fine adjustments but it will work.

What size is the return chamber on your sump?

Your overflow can't flow more than what it is given by your pump. If the overflow can really handle 800gph, you should have no problem pumping 656gph into your tank from the return.

And I'm confused, when you say 'keep the water level up'. Keep the water level up where? The water level in your display tank should be at a constant, and the only place where the water level changes is in the return chamber in your sump. The water level in the return chamber will lower as water evaporates, so you need to keep it topped off. If the return chamber is being sucked dry, it can only be one of three things: either the pump is too large for the overflow, the overflow is being plugged by something, or the return chamber is too small. What do you have in your sump?

It shouldn't be that complicated. As long as the pump gph is smaller than the overflow gph, you shouldn't have a problem. Also check your overflow piping for blockage.

Can you take pics of your setup?

This might sound crazy, but I think maybe you just do not have enough water in your return chamber. I think your sump needs more water. Run the pump, fill up the return chamber with more saltwater until it fills to your desired height. I know when I put a stronger pump in my old tank, it drained my return faster than the intake would fill it...I simply added more water, and problem solved.

I agree with Wonton and BL1. There's no way that pump is strong enough for your overflow.

You need to have a pump rated HIGHER than your overflow, and dial it down using a ball valve.

I have a 10 gallon sump which is kind of small. So should I take out the baffles in my sump? Because it does seem that the return pump area is a little small. As far as what's in the sump currently it is just the line from the overflow and the return pump. I'm still waiting on my Protein skimmer to get here, it's taking quite awhile.

The return pump section isn't anything but 5in wide so water levels will change very fast.

I used to have a 10g sump for my old 45g....it was sectioned off into 3 compartments, the middle was the return. Either way, if you had enough water in your sump, the baffles won't matter. Water will equalize one way or another. It's a matter of putting enough water in the return section.

Maybe a picture would help.

Ok here is some pics I took out the one baffle to fit my pump.

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Sump1.jpg
    Sump1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 306
  • Sump2.jpg
    Sump2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Sump3.jpg
    Sump3.jpg