Serpent Star losing legs

JohnVH

Reefer Madness
I have been battling ICH. I have managed to quarantine all my inverts coral and most of my live rock (I am doing a hyposalinity treatment in the DT). The serpent star has been in the tank for a few days now and in the last day he has dropped two of his legs. All parameters in the QT are fine:
AMMO=0
PH=8.0
NO2=0
NO3=trace
SG1.024

I do spot feed him and he has been eating as of yesterday and all other critters in the QT seem fine. Inverts in the QT are Scarlet and Blue Legged Hermits, assorted snails and 2 Cleaner shrimp. Corals are 2 Candy Canes, Button Polyps, Xenia, GSP's, Mushrooms and Clove Polyps.

I do not know if it was stress of moving him to a new tank, the crabs in the tank are pretty small I do not know if they are capable of doing that much damage. Both legs have come off in the last 24 hrs. I who knows what waits for me when I get home from work he's only got 3 left. Excuse my Noobiness but will his legs grow back if he takes an upswing I do not think he is doing well.

Just a tiny bit I have heard that they do not like that. When I picked him up from the LFS the owner of the store just reached in and pulled him out exposing him to air the was about 6 weeks ago and he has done fine until the move to the QT. I do not have an auto top off for the QT and am topping the water off manually. I think I will just have to be more careful doing my top off. I try to keep the topping off regular as to not have any kind of major swings in SG. I had moved him to the QT tank several days ago and all inverts had been drip acclimated for about 2 hours. So if it was exposure to the air I think it might have happened sooner I don't know. I will have to keep a close eye on him.

Last edited:
I am not totally sure if this applies because these guys are usually much hardier, but the linka and formia starfish are highly susceptible to bacteria infections and when they do come down with one, they get the same symptoms you are seeing. Not much you can do for them once they start dissolving.

However, if he can make a turn around then he should regrow the legs.

Back