Serpent star

pheasant29

Reefing newb
What would make my serpent star just fall apart and die? He was doing fine and feeding. Two days later he was moving about during the day(unusual) and they next he fell apart. I mean he really fell apart he lost two tips from his arms first. Then he lost two full arms and it looked like his body was breaking apart as well. He had crackes in it with white stuff coming out of it. It looked like he had been dropped off a building or something. Crazy

You guys have any idea?

Wow, Nitrates test good. Even tho i am having a red cyno outbreak for some reason. I will test for voltage when i get home. Thanks

Last edited:
What is 'good' for nitrates? Anything above 20 can start to harm inverts. Good luck with the voltmeter. Let us know how it goes.

Still not sure on this. Sorry it took so long to get back. Our modem crashed at the house.It very well could be nitrates since i have bio balls in the sump that i am slowly eliminating. Also i have red slime cyano on my gravel right now. My live rock was not cured by any means and I have had a lot of deteris fall to the gravel as well.The live rock is awesome tho.
On the other hand my plug behind the tank is doing something screwy. I am testing voltage threw the ground on the plug. It has voltage meter going crazy. Showing as much as 57 volts. Now i think i would be feeling that myself. Everything else in the tank seems fine. Fish seem fine.Crabs are good as well as the snails.I am still at lost.Corals are doing great also.
As of right now i will get the algae and nitrates under controll before adding any thing else. If you have any ideas i am open for suggestions.

It looks like you found your problem. You wouldn't necessarily be feeling the voltage unless you had a cut or something. I've had voltage problems in my tanks before, and didn't notice until it was too late, and stuff was dead. You really need to address that problem (follow the method laid out in the article I linked to). That's a problem that can't be ignored.

The problem is. I dont know how to fix it. I changed the plug in the wall all ready and that done nothing. Its not one of the one of the pumps, heater or lights because it still reads the same when nothing is plugged into the tank. I dont know how something could be back feeding thru the ground on the plug????

I had that issue one time, and it turned out to be a bad extension cord. Check everytyhing -- power strips, surge protectors, extension cords. Just start by unplugging every single thing at the wall.

Ya, I am trying to find the problem. The thing is, the problem lies with the wall plug.I have had every thing unplugged from the tank and used the ground in the wall. Still reads the same thing???? I am definitely lost here!!!!

Back