Serpent Starfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra1

Reefing newb
I received my live rock today and it was some good looking stuff, however, as I was putting my rock in the tank a baby serpent starfish crawled out from my rock and he is sooooo tiny. My live rock has to stay in my tank and cycle for at least two weeks. I have no heater in there or anything because I was told not to run one while I was cycling my tank. Do you think he will survive? I am going to be bummed out if he doesn't. Let me know, thanks.:twocents:

You should have a heater and powerheads in your tank while it's cycling. If you don't have a heater, chances are it won't survive. However, there's the possibility it won't survive anyway because of the cycle

Inverts are more susceptible to poor water conditions, I wouldn't expect him to make it...but I am constantly amazed by the new critters coming out of my live rock.

Definitely run your heater. when I cycled my tank, I had an urchin and a few crabs make it through.

If the rock was cured enough to have live brittle star in it,then your not gonna have much of cycle to begin with.
Get your heater and power heads in there to perserve as much of the life on that rock as possible.

+1 on the heater, I think you should always cycle with a heater, lets you get your salinity levels perfect!

Not only that, but the cycle would most likley happen faster. The heat will speed up the metabolism of the bacteria that are consuming the waste, ammonia, and nitrites on your live rock. Get it at opperating temperature have your water moving and protien skimmer skimming. All of those things you can set up now before you actually get fish in there.

So, thanks again for the comments. Just last night I found some type of coral on my rocks already, by morning, I found several of these covering my rocks what the hell? My last tank didn't have all these goodies on it after just two days I am getting excited! Really amazes me how much stuff all of a sudden grows on this stuff. They are like overnight sensations! I will post pictures soon.

What do these things look like? It is possible that it is apstasia or majano anenomes.

Do a google search for those and let us know. If it is, it is best to get rid of them quickly. It is also possible that the hitch hikers are good things. So let us see them!

I think they are the majano anenomes. I have one who is completely laying on top of the rock all stretched out tube and all. Oh and my ammonia levels today are 0.

Peppermints won't usually eat majanos. Your best bet is to buy a bottle of Aiptasia X and zap them. Take care of them early, before they get out of control.

Pepperments usually wont eat majanos.Besides,its best to wait and make sure your not gonna have an ammonia spike. Give it a week.If you've not seen any ammonia by Monday next week,chances are your not going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back