Server Move

Ian

Reefing newb
I'm just about to move Living Reefs to a new server, which comes with a few benefits over the existing one (like plenty of extra storage space and RAID drives). Sorry for the lack of notice on this move, but I've only got a short window to move it in.

It should only take a few mins to move, but LR will appear offline for those few moments - I'll have it back up in no time :D

I'll start the move in the next few moments, as it's quiet online. :Cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian I hate to be a Debbie Downer but the new server has issues...to say the least. It locks up and shuts the whole site down somewhat regularly. I'd raise hell with the new provider

Ian I hate to be a Debbie Downer but the new server has issues...to say the least. It locks up and shuts the whole site down somewhat regularly. I'd raise hell with the new provider

What? I haven't noticed this at all.

Is anyone else having these problems?

I have trouble loading pages and chat is having lots of issues, especially in the afternoon/early evening when we have lots of traffic.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'll set up some resource monitors on the server and see what happens.

If you experience slowness, could you please post in this thread at the time it happens (or just let me know the time + timezone). I can then check the logs and see what happened at that time :)

There are backups generated daily at 4AM GMT and I'm wondering if that is part of the problem.

edit: The sitemaps were also generated at 2AM GMT and I've moved this to 7AM to see if that helps. I'm making some changes to the chat timeout to see if that helps things a bit too.

Just wondering if those changes have improved things? I've made quite a few tweaks to see if it helps :)

That's midnight - 3am my time, so I guess that's why I've not seen it. I'll stay up late one night soon and watch what happens live to see if I can track down the problem. :)

I made some more changes last night to see if I can speed up the server - there were lots of maintenance tasks on the forum running at 2am GMT, so I've spread those out a bit more.

I'm going to set my alarm for very early morning one night in the next week or so, hopefully that will mean I can catch the slowness in progress :).

Is there a time that the site suddenly starts to crawl, or is it a gradual thing?

Well, i would say that it gets slow right around 7. But its gets really slow for 5 or 6 minutes, and then runs normally for some length of time, and then slows down again.

Thanks Hannah :). OK that sounds like it could be one of the sitemap generators causing it, if you notice it start to happen at a certain time if you take note of it I should be able to look up the process and fix it. Don't worry if you don't spot it, as I'll see if I can catch it too :).

edit: I've just checked and 2am is 7pm MST - so that would match up with the sitemap running times (which I changed yesterday). Hopefully that means the server should now be faster, but I'll keep watching!

I work with a lot of server performance issues myself on a daily basis and I have not see any significant performance issues with the LR server in recent weeks,

I work with a lot of server performance issues myself on a daily basis and I have not see any significant performance issues with the LR server in recent weeks,

It's very specific times. I have noticed it as well. Hopefully the changes will fix it. :D

Back