Server Upgrade

Ian

Reefing newb
Over the past few months the number of Living Reefs users online has grown hugely (which is great news!), however this also means that the current server is starting to cause slowdowns at peak times.

The good news is that because of the VIP members we can now afford a new server which is WAY more powerful. :bounce: I've just placed an order for the new server (12GB RAM and double the hard drive space!), so it should fly once the site is moved over next week. I will let you know when the move takes place, but I don't expect much downtime at all (I will do it when there aren't many people online and it should only take 10 mins).

A huge thankyou to the VIP members for making this happen :D

1geo
Alexander
biodarwin
Bluespace
chiqui bb
Chris_150G
daugherty
DAvis
dcantucson
dskirtech
dustin_P74
Hornet
jimymac
Jschoon
LongIslandFirearms
matthew1048
mblack
Melonbob
messiah023
mng777777
Navarchus
parrotchute
Picasso
Piggy
project5k
putter
rarecoral21
reeffreak
Reefrookie
Rushy
SeaBee
sen5241b
U4BOYZ
unboundmind
Zissou

This also means that there will be lots more space for the site gallery which now takes up several gigabytes.

We will soon have a faster site that will have plenty of space space for expansion. :^:

I am always hesitant to sign up for something like VIP status because I don't typically see where my money is going to. It is nice to see that this site does take into account the needs for improvement. Therefore I am going to sign up and hopefully more users who can spare the money will do the same.

Thanks all, I'll let you know how the server transfer goes - I'm going to spend a couple of days making sure the server works great and then do a practice run before the full switch. :)

This site has saved my A$$ from making some stupid mistakes. The wealth of knowledge here is worth 10X's the VIP price!! Happy to help this site grow and pass on the knowledge to the next new guys...:mrgreen:

Thanks folks :)

I'm making some changes to the site coding today so that everything is ready for the move. The server company hasn't installed the final bit of software yet, so I'm still waiting for them to get things in place. If it's not done soon then I'll need to delay the move till next week, as I'd like to have a couple of days testing it to make sure that nothing can go wrong :) (I've got lots of backups just in case).

The site should be sooooooooo much faster and have a ton of extra room for pics!

Woohoo!!! I keep meaning to donate. Must do that stat! Especially if tapatalk is included! :mrgreen:
Im with Dennis! My actual sw on my phone has updated like 3 to 4 times. does that potentially mean the forum side sw has been updated? Boy if we get that ability im whipping out my visa and donating more money on top of my regular VIP sub

I'm not sure if the forum side of TapTalk has been updated further, but I'll check it out early next month and see if it's stable enough :).

The server isn't in Manchester (UK), but in Dallas, Texas :D. Most of the readers are in the US and it's cheaper over there, so it makes sense to host it with a company in the States.

I've been busy testing the new server for the last week and it was having some major hardware problems, it turns out there was a fault with the motherboard and the replacement server seems to be running fine.

I'm going to test it for another couple of days and if all is well I hope to move the site this week :D

The new server is running well, so I'll be moving this site over in a couple of hours :)

Stay tuned! :D

Back