Setting up 54 gal corner

mdsiman

Reefing newb
Hi I'm getting my new tank next week and my buddy is a manger at the lfs and is giving me cycled wAter from his tanks. Since the water it cycled already can I add fish within a couple of days?

The water doesn't make much of a difference. You need to buy rocks which will become live pretty soon. Have you bought any yet? It's recommended to have 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon of water.

Yea I'm getting fully cured figi live rock that was originally in the tank. Only 60lbs to start off tho. I'm also getting the sand also.

Most likely still just do a few damsels and a pair of clowns to start it off. I'm having my buddy who's real good with salt water aquariums help me out with my whole build. He's even coming over once a week to help me maintain it.

Ok, make sure you only add 1 or 2 fish at the same time, otherwise your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates will shoot up, which could be toxic for your tank.

I would suggest learning how to do it yourself, its not hard and if something go wrong and your friend cant come over, what are you going to do?

Remember, only add 1-2 fish every month. you dont want to overload the biofilter.

Also, i would skip the damsels, they are pretty evil. They will limit what fish you can keep in the future.

Back