Setting up a breeder tank with a 30g?

Rcchanlder

Reefing newb
i have a left over 30 gal and stand that i want to use for something. i was thinking of trying to make in into a breeder tank. Has anyone had success with breeding. The fiance wants a freshwater tank. I dont thing the 30 is big enough for a good display tank ( fresh water or other wise) and i dont need it as a sump.

After having a saltwater tank, freshwater just doesn't cut it for me anymore. There's nothing to LOOK at it seems. And none of my FW fish have ever had any real personality.

From what I've read, breeder tanks are a whole different thing. Baby clowns need sponge filters --big pumps will kill them. They must have live rotifiers too.

You are not going to find to many people who have had success breeding fish here.Cardinals are probably the easiest since they are livebearers.Seahorses could be another option.

Now another option is use it as a frag tank.

I tried breeding clowns. The problem with mine were, as soon as I got good stocks of all the foods the baby clowns needed (you have to have separate tanks and containers to grow several types of live food as well), they decided they were all of a sudden going to stop laying eggs.

Breeding saltwater fish is very tricky and expensive, but there are a lot of webpages dedicated to instructing you how to do it. The problem is, most saltwater fish won't breed in captivity. You are limited to clowns, certain types of cardinals...and that's about it.

I think the real thing is that you have to get a pair that breed first.
Once they breed, a lot of people say they lay eggs about every 2 weeks like clockwork.

Then if you wanna give the process a try check out this site:
Breed Clownfish | Saltwater Fish Breeding

I read through it and it seems to cover everything real well. From Culturing plankton to Rotifers and on.

And if you don't want clowns the process/precautions I would assume to be similar for other fish you just have to tweak it towards their specific needs.

Last edited:
Back