setting up a refugium and sump

jneigh1

Reefing newb
hey i have a 150 gallon tank which has been up and running for over 6 months now so it is stabalized. i have a sump with two compartments which came with the tank and i wanted to set up the sump and make the one compartment a refugium. my question is if i could use marine mud and live sand together or should i just use live sand since my tank has live sand and rock. I couldn't find alot of information about marine mud and i know close to nothing about refugium so any useful tips about setting up refugiums or sumps would be appreciated, thanks for you help. :sfish:

i also want to mention i have a small high intensity refugium light strip to grow grasses.

You should go with one or the other. I have never used the mud but it just seems like it would be a nasty mess. A lot of people swear by the mud but I'm not sure what qualities it has that LS doesn't. I have Live sand in mine and it does the trick. I also have a good size cleaning crew in there crabs, snails etc. Where is your skimmer? How much room do you have in each compartment? Your options probably depend a lot on the room you have to work with. Good Luck!

Back