Setting Up An Invert-Only Tank

wafsman

Reefing newb
Hello all, let me first start by saying that I have finally decided to make the leap into saltwater. I have read lots of books and online articles. I have read about all the equipment needed, but most everything you read about is for reef or fish-only setups. Although I am wanting to setup a tank that is inverts only, which I am having trouble finding good info about, so I had a few questions for you guys before I get started.

First any links to any helpful information on invert-only setups is greatly appreciated.

Second is about the equipment. I have read about the need for power filters, protein skimmers, calcium reactors, fluidized sand bed filters, and UV filters. but I am curious about how much of this equipment I actually need for an invert-only tank. I do plan to have live rock. And as far as the bed I have heard the i could put a layer of regular substrate, like a crushed coral substrate, and then put a layer of live sand on top and eventually it will all become live sand.

Third is with an invert-only tank what is recommended for lighting. I was thinking of a dual bulb setup, with one white daylight bulb and one blue acintic bulb. just want to make sure it won't be overkill.

Also some helpful information for you all, the tank is a 40 long and the list of inverts i plan to get is as follows (it's a reef cleaner package sold together):

20 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
15 Astraea Turbo Snails
20 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
1 Sally Lightfoot Crab or
Fighting Conch - Aquacultured
1 Arrow Crab
2 Emerald Mythrax Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
10 Nassarius Snails

Well,the coral banded will take out the peppermints,and the scarlets will probably take out the blue legs,then work on the snails.Then you'll be left with a CBS who won't want to share the tank and turn on sally and emeralds.Then you could be left with a battle royal of sorts on your hands.......All or non of the above could happen.
I also think those cuc reef packages they sell are just a waste of money,JMO..

equipment, you don't need uv,protien skimmer or reacters.If you really only want inverts a HOB will do fine.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the site....sounds like an interesting set-up...just my two cents, get sand and not crushed coral, the crushed coral will lead to bad water quality. Your live rock will be your primary filtrationn so you will need 1-2lbs per gallon. Like mentioned, a hob filter will do the trick, but you have to make sure you keep the filter clean. And last but not least, do NOT use tap water, it will give you bad algae phases down the road, instead, use ro/di water. I would leave the cb shrimp out, they are very aggressive. There are tons of other inverts available, so don't feel like you're limited. And feel free to ask questions and post pics :)

Thanks for all the replys, to answer the most popular question I want an invert only tank because it will be a lot easier to take care of while learning to monitor saltwater parameters and I like the look of the inverts and just think it would be cool to watch them all crawling around the tank. Second I am one of the few ohioans who can't stand the buckeyes. Third so it sounds like it would be better if I substitute the cbs for some sexy shrimp and I should be good, also forgot to mention that I wanted some starfish, like maybe a red serpent and a blue linkia, any thoughts?

Starfish are harder to keep then fish IMO...so if you're starting off slowly and learning (sounds like you're doing it right)....I would skip the starfish for awhile. I do have a couple of sand sifting starfish. They aren't colorful, but fun to watch. Very hardy. The only ones I can keep alive!

Thanks for all the replys, to answer the most popular question I want an invert only tank because it will be a lot easier to take care of while learning to monitor saltwater parameters and I like the look of the inverts and just think it would be cool to watch them all crawling around the tank. Second I am one of the few ohioans who can't stand the buckeyes. Third so it sounds like it would be better if I substitute the cbs for some sexy shrimp and I should be good, also forgot to mention that I wanted some starfish, like maybe a red serpent and a blue linkia, any thoughts?

1. I think people make taking care of a saltwater tank sound more difficult than it actually is. It looks like you're setting up a 75g tank? and that you've got plenty of aquarium experience...If you do your homework first and put together a care routine they're not difficult. Sure there are some Corals that you'll want to wait on for awhile, but if you get some inexpensive, easy to care for fish, I doubt you'll have a problem.

2. It is cool to watch inverts, I've got 4 peppermint shrimp in my tank, I NEVER see them...they're in there because I periodically check with a flashlight. Snails obviously crawl on the glass. I have a Blue Linckia that I inherited with my live rock, alot of people have trouble keeping them alive. As well as other starfish. I also have a sandsifting start who pretty much stay buried all day long. Red Serpent stars go under a rock and you'll never see them until their arm comes out to eat.

3. I'm just concerned that you're going to fill the tank with inverts, serpent stars, snails, etc...and your tank is going to look like a empty aquarium because the majority of those inverts are going to hide all day long....It will look like you've got an aquarium filled with rocks.

One last thing, I do think that it's great that you want to move slowly. I think that alot of people jump in too quickly and don't do their homework, to the demise of some nice fish and corals. But if you want inverts because you're worried about being able to keep fish alive, I think that you're worrying for nothing...If you'd like I'm sure between everybody here on the forum we can help you pick out a few nice hardy fish that are inexpensive...

The inverts that you see at the LFS will more than likely not act the same way in your tank....At the LFS, generally inverts don't have hiding places, in your tank they do.. So when you see peppermint shrimp at the LFS frolicking around in the water, you're not going to have that experience your tank, if you have hiding places.

Linknias need a very mature tank of at least a yr old. Tank parameters need to be very stable which would not be the case for a new tank. Not a buckeye fan huh. :dunno:

Welcome!:D

An all invert tank would be a little boring because they all do hide! I can never tell exactly how many crabs and snails I have!

I am a newbie and starting slow is for sure what I have done. I started with HOB filters and with fish they are a pain in the butt. You have to clean them all the time! They habor nitrates. So if you do decide to add fish as well to the tank I would rethink the HOB filter...even if you don't add fish you will still need to clean the filters and tubing often so they don't trap lots of nitrates.

ok, so no starfish for a while, that's cool. and yeah, that wouldn't be very exciting if all they did was hide. just the main book i have been reading was talking about how an invert-only tank would be much easier to start because you wouldn't have to worry about all the fish poop throwing off the nitrate levels and what not, but yeah, that's not a good enough reason if the tank looks empty. and it is a 40g long i am setting up and yeah i got lots of freshwater experience. the package i was looking at was sold online, so i don't even know what they look or act like, but since they would be hiding mst of the time i guess it dont really matter. so for my setup what fish would i be able to add? also what would adding the fish change as far as what equipment i needed? thanks again for all you help, can't wait to figure everything out so i can get this thing up and running to show you all.

I knew we could change your tune..!! I think the main thing to remember is, reefing is a marathon not a sprint. Add fish slowly. IME if you add small fish slowly (at least a month between adding fish) than you're not going to see any crazy spikes in your parameters. People sometimes want to go into the LFSand buy the entire ocean..or overstock a tank, that will make your parameters go crazy.

Doing a reef tank, you're really relying on your live rock to do the filtration for you, so it's a more natural process than FW..because of that, you have to give the tanks bacteria time to adjust to added bio-loads. So if you throw 5 big ass fish inyour tank at the same time, the natural bacteria isn't going to be able to keep up and you're going to have problems. If you add fish slowly it gives the bacteria more time to build up and keep up with the added bioload...

As far as fish:
Clowns are everyones favorite and they're very hardy fish.
Cardinals- They're ok to look at, but they are hoverers not swimmers.

Go here to check out compatible fish for your tank.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

Equipment:
Tank
Test kits (gotta have them) Nitrite, PH/Alk,Nitrates, Ammonia,etc. Don't use test strips, use the liquid tests. They're accurate and easy to test with
Reef Salt
hydrometer (to test salinity in water)
RO/DI water (never use tap water, it can cause algae outbreaks) You can buy a Ro/DI filter to make your own water or you can buy water form the LFS, or you can use distilled water from Walmart, etc.
1-2lbs live rock per gallon of tank
Protein skimmer (HOB or in sump)
Good lights.
Power heads (You want 5-10x flow for your tank) the more flow the better. I use Koralia powerheads. I like them and they're easy to maneuver.

Craigslist is your friend. To keep from making mistakes just ask as many questions as you can, we're all happy to help out..but you have to send pics.

Last edited:
I agree with the above. An invert only tank would look very bare, and easy beginner fish are easier to keep than many inverts. Inverts are more sensitive to water quality than fish are.

Back