Setting up and using ro/di to make water

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
So this is my next big project.
I'm going to start making my own water for my tank.
I've been getting water from a friend that lives a few minutes away that makes his own.

I bought a typhoon 5 stage ro/di system and I know a little about the setup that I have to have.

Just looking for basic information on doing this, and how I should actually "make" the water.

First you need to hook it up. Most people set it up under the kitchen sink. Be sure to plumb it into the cold water line, not the hot water line. :) When you first set it up, let it run for a bit and throw out the first two gallons or so. Then just let it run. Be sure to set the timer on your phone or over so you don't let it overflow. Every one of us has started making RODI water and then walked away, only to remember it after it floods!

If you are topping off the tank for evaporation, only use fresh water. If you are making saltwater for a water change, mix your salt in and let it mix for about 24 hours before adding it to your tank.

+1 Biff...and if you can't plumb it into your pipe, it should have an attachment that you could attach to the faucet.

If you have a washing machine, you can hook it up to that too.
Get a Y adaptor for the water line and run the drain line into your washer's drain in the wall.
A little over halfway down this page.
$12.00 - BRASS HOSE Y WITH SHUT-OFF
Fittings

Bulkreefsupply.com sells an adapter that installs between the valve that comes out of the wall and the hose going to the faucet. That way you don't need to puncture the water line.

I also had mine set up in the bathroom. Put the bucket and hose in the bath tub to prevent water from getting all over the place.

I now have an auto shut off valve and it plumbed into a 14 gallon rubber maid container. I have water whenever I need it now. No waiting.

I just started using a RODI unit too. :) It was from Bulkreefsupply.

Most RODI units will have three tubes. I am not sure if the color coding is universal.
1. One that connects to the water source (mine was red).
2. One for the "Product" water (blue)
3. One for the "Waste" water (Black)

Since I could not install the unit permanently, I just used an adapter that connects my intake hose to a standard threaded faucet (my outdoor garden spicket).
Once I am done, I store the RODI unit in the garage.

Make sure you pay attention to the water pressure as most RODI units have a minimum and maximum pressure range for optimal operation.

Piping is not universal. Mine is Blue in, White for RODI and yellow for waste. Mine is a 4 stage from Buckeye Field Supply. Mine is permanently mounted in the basement room next to the fish tank/office area. I make about 30 gallons at a time. Some used as top off and some is put into a mixing station and used for WC. I do have to turn off the unit manually and have also had 2 floods because I forgot.

Last edited:
Back