Setting up Biocube 14 fish ??

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hi to all,
Our tank is cycling well. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all 0 and have been for a couple of days. We were at LFS looking at CUC and fish. We go on the weekend so my husband, son and I can all go. We had done our research and my son was talking about fish and what to get. The man told him damsels or chromis to start with after the CUC is set and the tank has settled out.
Can we put chromis in our Biocube 14? What do I need to know more than the general info I have read? I read to feed variety, like mysis shrimp, no brine. Keep an odd number. But not sure if my tank will be good.
Thanks
Angie

I think a chromis would be pretty cramped in a 14 gallon tank. They like to have more swimming space than that. With a tank that size, you can keep 2 or 3 fish maximum. If you did keep chromis, that's about all you'd be able to keep if you are housing them in a group.

A damsel would be fine in that tank, but could be aggressive towards anything else you tried to add. If you just want to keep a damsel (or two or three), that would work; they can usually hold their own against each other.

Clowns are another popular option for the Biocubes. A pair of clowns and a damsel would probably get along just fine. Or one clown and two damsels. Clowns are in the damsel family, so they usually are able to withstand the aggression of the damsels. :)

If you are looking for something different, gobies are good for nano tanks, and are very passive.

Aren't chromis in the damsel family too?

The other thing they tried to say was that we can bring them back and trade them in?

We want to eventually have some corals but that is down the line. We will also start with small frags.

Thanks,
Angie

Back