Setting up biocube 14

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
I am setting up my 14 biocube again for my YWG and his pistol shrimp friend. It has been sitting so I cycled vinegar water through for a couple of days. I am currently running through tap water. I will do this a couple of times and then give it a good scrubbing to make sure it's good and clean.

Here is the question.
Can I take some water from my 90 tank and use it to set up the Biocube? I just tested my water and all parameters are good. I also just did a water change first of the week.
Right now he is in the sump. We just redid the sump with the proper sections, bubble trap, etc. I really just want to have to move them once. When we got the pistol from the pet store he dropped his claw. It's grown back but I would like to avoid additional stress.

Thanks,
Angie

If you're asking if using that water will avoid a cycle, the answer is no. The water column doesn't have enough bacteria in it to make much of a difference in cycling. But you definitely can use the water from your 90 regardless.

If you're asking if using that water will avoid a cycle, the answer is no. The water column doesn't have enough bacteria in it to make much of a difference in cycling. But you definitely can use the water from your 90 regardless.

Yes I was asking this. I was going to take the live rock and sand that is in with the YWG and the pistol. I had hoped I could basically do a tank transfer, but I don't want to kill them. The new sump will have the live rock, sand, and water from the existing sump. Does this make a difference?

The YWG is our longest living fish and our favorite so this is why I want to get him out of the sump. The 6 line hassled him all the time and is why he is in the sump now.

Thanks

Most people do not transfer their sand. It collects too much waste and gets stirred up when you move it. How long has that sand been in the system? With enough established rock, you can avoid a cycle but if you can I would wait to transfer him until you're sure the new tank does not go through an ammonia and nitrite spike. I did set up my ten gallon without a cycle (take a look at my ten gallon thread) but I was a little less worried because of how hardy clownfish are. I also didn't add sand until later and used new sand.

Most people do not transfer their sand. It collects too much waste and gets stirred up when you move it. How long has that sand been in the system? With enough established rock, you can avoid a cycle but if you can I would wait to transfer him until you're sure the new tank does not go through an ammonia and nitrite spike. I did set up my ten gallon without a cycle (take a look at my ten gallon thread) but I was a little less worried because of how hardy clownfish are. I also didn't add sand until later and used new sand.

The sand has only been in the sump since November. I thought of getting a bag of sand and seeding it with the sump sand. I will go look at your build and see if I have additional questions.

What fish could I potentially add in there with the YWG and pistol. The only coral that will be in there is a long polyp toadstool. I will wait and watch the tank cycle and then add the YWG/pistol couple. Like a month later add 1 more fish, but what?

Thanks,
Angie

Chichmom, I respectfully disagree, Most of the beneficial bacteria is in the rock and sand. Little is in the water column. I have done more 50% water changes than I could ever count and my reef was never the worse for it. I seem to recall Biff did a 50% on one of her huge tanks after a kalk overload and it helped big time.

If the rock, sand and half the water is taken directly form a cycled tank then there should not be a cycle. If the sand is not cycled or if it is from an older tank and laden with detritus then it could cause a cycle.

On the sand, my decision is to put in black sand and seed it with a cup from my sump. I think the YWG and pistol will show up great in there.

Chichmom, I respectfully disagree, Most of the beneficial bacteria is in the rock and sand. Little is in the water column. I have done more 50% water changes than I could ever count and my reef was never the worse for it. I seem to recall Biff did a 50% on one of her huge tanks after a kalk overload and it helped big time.

If the rock, sand and half the water is taken directly form a cycled tank then there should not be a cycle. If the sand is not cycled or if it is from an older tank and laden with detritus then it could cause a cycle.

This is pretty much what I said, worded a little differently. :Cheers:

I have done a tank transfer for a few people and its very possible to essential move most everything to new tank but there are small things like get the glass/acrylic and everything else in new tank cycled. hard to explain i would say for most part you will probably be good. Invert's everyone says are very sensitive to changes but I would say if your producing alot of water movement and stuff your gonna be fine. if it succeeds your another success story and another positive turn out in our endless searches for answers to questions!

I am going to set it up with the live rock, seed the new sand with a scoop of the current sand in the sump, and use some water from the 90 gallon. Test it in a couple of days and see where it's at. If I get a cycle how long, will it take before I know?

I can wait to set up the new sump/refugium or just transfer them into it.

I have done a lot transfers like you are wanting to do. New sand, live rock and water from existing tank with no cycle. I feel confident you will have the same success.

Back