Setting up halides on light, need advice

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Found a really good deal on two aqua medic 250 watt 20k pendants and was wondering if you could use t5 actinics along with the mh or will it be too blue? Trying to squeeze as much wattage into the water as possible since I think im going to be slackin on wattage with only 2 250 watt halides on a 160 g tank that is 63" long. I will eventually buy a third halide but until then these two will all I have. Going to build a wood box that hangs above the aquarium that the pendants will be in. I can fit actinics in it if its recommended. If 20k is too blue for actinics then what spectrum bulb is needed to run actinics? Because I was thinking about changing the bulbs to 14k just to brighten the tank up a little cause im afraid 20k will not be bright. Sorry for the ramble but any advice would be appreciated.

It's all up to you and what you want the tank to look like. If you want that windex blue look, use 20k bulbs and actinics. If you want less blue, go with a 15k and actinics or if you want a white look, go with 10k with actinics.

Found a really good deal on two aqua medic 250 watt 20k pendants and was wondering if you could use t5 actinics along with the mh or will it be too blue? Trying to squeeze as much wattage into the water as possible since I think im going to be slackin on wattage with only 2 250 watt halides on a 160 g tank that is 63" long. I will eventually buy a third halide but until then these two will all I have. Going to build a wood box that hangs above the aquarium that the pendants will be in. I can fit actinics in it if its recommended. If 20k is too blue for actinics then what spectrum bulb is needed to run actinics? Because I was thinking about changing the bulbs to 14k just to brighten the tank up a little cause im afraid 20k will not be bright. Sorry for the ramble but any advice would be appreciated.
I'm running dual Phoenix 14K bulbs, and 4 T5 Actintic 03 bulbs. My tank is not harly noticable with blue after the MH come on at Noon.

Just got the halides installed and boy what a difference between t5s!!! :shock:...I think the lights MAY be a bit too blue since they are 20k but may just take some getting use to. Was wondering what is the lowest spectrum can I go without having to put t5 actinics up? Is 14k pushing my limits on the white without actinics?

Back