Setting up overflow?

ReefWannabe

Reefing newb
So how can I set Up an overflow system in my 55 gallon so that i can get water into my refugium and sump without having to pump it there?

I know my bottom glass is tempered, but im not sure about the sides...

Or would I just need to have 3 pumps? 1 pumping from the tank to the refugium, then out of the refugium to the sump area and then back up to the tank again? I plan on having my sump and refugium seperate because of space issues with my cabinet.

ITS NOT CLEAR ON EXACTLY HOW YOU WANT TO SET UP, BUT, THERE ARE BASICALLY ONLY SEVERAL WAYS TO DO IT:
1- OVERFLOW BOX HANG ON RIM OF TANK
2- DRILL BACK GLASS, INSERT BULK HEADS, RUN PIPE DOWN UNDER CABINET IN BACK AND INSERT A SHORT PIECE OF PVC WITH A 90 DEGREE TURN INTO THE BULKHEAD AND DO NOT GLUE. YOU CAN ADD SOME PLASTIC SCREEN INTO THE TOP OF THE 90 DEGREE AND TILT IT TO ADJUST HIGH WATER.
3- INSTALL OVERFLOW UNITS, DRILL BACK GLASS LOW AND INSERT A PVC WITH 90 DEGREE AND VERICAL DRAIN STEM THAT YOU CAN CUT TO SUIT.
4_ INSTALL AN OVERFLOW TRAY THE ENTIRE BACK WALL LENGTH, DRILL BACK GLASS IN SEVERAL PLACES TO GET THE FLOW YOU WANT AND THIS WILL SKIM WATER OFF THE ENTIRE TOP OF THE SYSTEM.

HOPE SOMETHING HERE HELPS www.reefmania.net/products-overflows.php

MAYBE THIS LINK WILL GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS.

Ok so ive looked into a few places, and I think Im going to get an overflow unit. Does there need to be 2 holes cut or just the 1? The kit I looked at showed 1 in and 1 out. Or can I re route out of the sump with pvc back up to the top of the aquarium? Also why not glue? wouldnt it cause leaks? threaded or slip on type piping? I plan to do this before I setup for reef, but after I have my tank established or should I find a way to get it done first?

need to slow down here. i gave you enough information to confuse you. the bulk head fitting will seal the hole, the pipe on the outside will need to be glued to form a 90 down, and then a hose barb fitting and the tubing on that with clamp. inside the water will run through the bulk head fitting which is sealed with piece on inside and outside. water runs through center, so you insert the pvc in the center of the bulk head fitting and 90 up. the reason you do not wnat to glue on inside is that you want to be able to rotate the pvc assmbly to one side or the other to regulate your high water. now as for the overflow kit. you will need to post a link so I can see what you are looking at so we are all on the same page. post the link i will look and comment further. sorry for the confusion. my other post was to just to let you know there are several ways to do this and not really as a design. so lets look at the same kit you are considering and ill answer you questions. ill check back tomorrow. happy holidays.

well I posted another thread in the reef chat section. sorry for so many. Ive decided to hold of and do fowlrfor now, and im going to get a diferent setup made for what I want cutom ordered off of ebay. thank you very much for this help tho, ill be trying to figure this out again in about 7 months.

This answered many of my questions and thanks for the link to reef mania I already place a quote for a 3-sided overflow for my 29 gallon tank. I already looked at getting a sump from oceanpro, but I am still confused on the pump I should get?? I do know that the sump is good for tanks up 125 gallons and holds 20 gallons of water. I really need to know what pump to use that are dependable and if using hang-on skimmer or using in-sump is best? If the difference is only cosmetic, then thats not a problem. :mrgreen:

I like rio but only the ones with the grounded electrical cord. stay away from the two spade ones, dolphin, mag drive, just a few. hope it helps.

Thanks this helps greatly, now I need someone that is willing to drill my tank? What kind of sealant should I use? Do I drill two holes or one? I think that this thread answered that already. I just want to clarify, If decide to drill two holes side by side and I could one for the draining and the other for the return back to my tank jetting back to the tank above my overflow. Is this a good idea? Or should I return it over the lip of the tank using pipe?

I found a DIY forum from a different site that some dude was able to concert aqua-clear 70 to a fuge. It look sick :mrgreen: I give props that dude :bowdown:

Yes I seen many Aquaclear become great hang on fuge I am currenly working on one myself for one of my tanks. Well I will start a 20 gallon with a hang on fuge (aquaclear 110) with hang on skimmer coralife skimmer (65 gallon) with a 20" 50/50 pc light fixture, live rock and live sand. My 29 gallon I'm going to drill two holes and create overflow for it. I'll keep you posted

Well lol im now going to do my fuge again on my fowlr tank, but only im just going to use a overflow box. Seems like the easiest way/only way other than drilling. I will be using a 10 gallon refugium custom setup by itself, and a seperate sump area.(Since i dont mind drilling a 10 gallon lol.)

So From Reading Whats Right Above Me I Guess You Dont Have To Drill Holes To Have A Sump With Over Flow Box Can You Post Some Pics To Help Me Understand How To Set Up .(nevermind)

Last edited:
I do also have a AquaClear 110 and thought about converting it to a fuge. Does anyone have any idea on how to do it and what should be inside of it (LR, LS and plant etc...)? Does anyone has convert one successfully? THanks in advance...

Back