Setting up QT tank/questions about Yellow Tang

ReeferGirl

Reefing newb
I had a recent out break of ick in my tank and my yellow tang has it the worst. Ive had him for over 9 months and hes always been happy and healthy. I did a water change and got a new clown fish within a day of eachother. Im not sure which one brought it on the ick but now all 3 fish I have it. My Yellow Tang, the Clown I just bought (not sure which kind, im a newbie) and my diamond goby. My only other fish is a blue damsel and it does not show any signs of ick but Im going to QT him just in case. Besides my Tang and Damsel are close and like to school together.

Question 1: I am setting up my QT tank right now, but I wasnt sure if I should put a little bit of sand in there for my goby?? He loves the sand and spends all day sifting around, but most threads online say to leave it empty besides a few pieces of PVC.

Question 2: Can I combine a slightly raised temp (78-80), slightly lower salinity (1.012) levels and the medication NOX-ICH together? The bottle really doesnt tell me anything about using the medication with other treatments. It doesnt even tell me how often to do water changes so any Idea on that would help to.

Question 3: Is my 28 gallon tank to small for my Yellow Tang?? Hes always seemed to be a very happy, social, and a heathy fish. Plus he almost has the tank to himself besides my goby which stays under rocks a lot, a tiny blue damsel (less than 1 inch) , and the new tiny clown I got which is also less an 1 inch.I dont plan on getting any more fish just a few more corals. Do you think that I am stressing him out by keeping him in my tank? Other then the damsel that I have had since day one of my tank, my Yellow Tang is my second oldest fish and Ive grown rather attached. Should I risk taking him back to the fish store for something smaller, in hopes he finds a new bigger home?

Hello and Welcome to the site!

I second that the tank is much much too small for the yellow tang, he will live much longer and healthier in a properly sized tank. If you are worried about finding him a properly sized home, I would try selling him on cragslist so you can pick which home he goes to.

I would recommend you check this out, it should answer all your questions on ich. If you still have more, then post em here!
https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

Hi Reefer Girl! Hopefully everyone here can get your tank straightened back out. I'd take the clown back, you say you don't know what kind he is cause "you are a newbie." Always make sure to research the fish first, some clowns are super super mean and adding one into a semi-small tank will only cause stress.
Tangs need a tank that is at least 4 feet long. There is no exception to that rule which is a bummer for sure. To keep a yellow tang happy and stress free long term you need a 100 gallon tank. I'd either get a bigger tank (yay, upgrade) or, sell/trade the tang.
Then, you can qt the goby and damsel and I'd leave the display tank empty for, what does it take Little Fish, 8 weeks, 10 weeks? For the ich to die off.
Then, you can add your fish back and maybe add 1 other fish that is suitable for your tank size. Check out the "nano fish" section on liveaquaria.

Welcome to the site and +1 everyone -- tank's definitely too small for the tang. Tangs are ich magnets as it is. Even if he was doing fine for 9 months, it doesn't mean he was happy. He'd be much happier with plenty of room.

And to truly get rid of ich, you much treat all the fish in the tank, and leave the tank empty for at least 2-3 months. Otherwise, they will get it again once you put your treated fish back in, making your qt pointless. Read that ich article :) It's very useful.

Back