Setting up quarantine tank ?

Bob Newbie

Reefing newb
I am not sure if I am reading or thinking right about setting up a QT. Does a QT tank need to go through the same cycling process as a DT? Can I put in fresh salt water and put in new fish? Some say take water from DT and put into QT. Is that good enough or does the tank still need to build up the righ bacteria. I am confused. Many posts say do not add live rock sand etc then where does the cycling bacteria live? Please help I want to get another fish and would like to QT but do not want to do moe harm tan good. Tank you

Most of us don't QT our fish. And honestly if you have fish in the display tank already, QT'ing isn't going to do much. What you have in your display already (unless they were also QT'ed) has whatever you're trying to prevent by QT'ing.

Thank you for quick response, So I guess same question applies if I need to set up a Hospital tank if one of my fish gets sick? Thank goodness Ihave not had this problem yet and hopefully never. If it does arise, can I mix a new batch of saltwater up - heat it, circulate it etc or best to get DT water? How about cycled?

Generally you don't cycle hospital or QT tanks, because the majority of treatments that you use kill off the bacteria. What you would rely on for a "healthy" setup is water changes. Lots and lots of them.

Ah, makes sense to me now. thank you so much.Hopefully I will not need it. Now i need to try to find my Yellow Watchman Goby. have not seen him in a week.

i dont use one as long as the fish you buy look in good shape then MOST of the time you will be ok but if you have had ich in your tank then it will stay in you tank as long as you have fish in the tank. as long as you fish are not stressed and are healthy most will never show sings of it

As an experienced person on crashing tanks, the QT is the best possible thing.

Set up the QT, with a lower salinity then yours, like 1.020, then keep changing a little bit of the water everyday, don't let the cycle get going, then watch the fish for ich, do this for a week or two, then sart to gradually increase your Salinity to match your tank, then when ready drip acclimate your new fish to your tank.

Take your time, your LFS, may say they are fine, but they rotate stock so fast and who may know what has travelled with the fish.

Your tank is more important than there hunt for the dollar.

Back