Sexy Shrimp

earman88

Reefing newb
I bough 1 sexy shrimp once, he literally lasted 5 seconds in my tank, when my damsel and clown fish ravaged him to pieces. You would have thought I never feed my fish.

Anyways.. any ideas at preventing this? I want to buy 3 sexy shrimp at once. I was thinking maybe put them in when the lights are out, and after I've fed my fish a good meal.

I think it really is going to depend on the fish in your tank. With a goby and blenny, I think you'll be fine adding a trio of sexy shrimp, and maybe with a small peaceful clown although that would be a bigger risk. I'd never add them with a maroon clown, wrasse, basslet, dottyback or damsel though - I think they would become fish food immediately! I'd also be careful wtih them around particuarly large or aggressive LPS corals and anemones. I have 3 sexy shrimp in my tank (might be 4 but haven't seen the fourth in several days) and they are so teeny its amazing. They'd make a great snack for most of the fish and corals in my 90g in a heartbeat, but seem to be doing okay in my 10g.

I think if you avoid fish like that, your shrimp will have a much better shot at survival. It's a little surprising that even a damsel and clown would eat it right away, but not entirely surprising. :) Also, if you add the shrimp before any "aggressive" fish, the fish is much more likely to leave them alone.

My LFS wants $20 a pop for sexy shrimp.. no way I am paying $60 for 3 of these suckers.

I am almost certain PetCo sold me one for $7.. what have y'all paid for sexy shrimp?

LiveAquaria sells them for around $8. I'd wait until you want to get a large fish or coral order from LA and then buy them then so you don't have to pay for shipping. OR find a few other reefers in your area that want to go in on a Live Aquaria order with you so that with your combined items you have enough to avoid shipping.

In the past I've seen them for $7.50 at petco.

I actually got one today for free. I think it's going to become food for my CBS, though.

I have a sexy shrimp that seems to be sitting on my toadstool coral the past two days when it has previously been happy on my liverock. Any ideas why it is doing this? Also I am looking for two new fish tomorrow to go with my sexy shrimp and firecracker goby. Any suggestions? I am going to my lfs tomorrow

Back