Shark Egg Case!!

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
So the guy at the LFS decided he was going to order and give me a shark egg case FREE OF CHARGE!! I had no clue and today he called me up and said that my shrimp was in as well as a surprise... I figured it was a good discount (i get those alot there) but he had 2 egg cases and said he wanted to give me one because its what i'm studying for school and becuase i was one of his favorite customers :)

So I got to pick out of the two egg cases and chose the more active baby (we had lights to check em out with). My quesiton isssss what is the best way to prepare myself for the hatching? I've never had a shark hatch at work while i was on shift, only ones that had hatched before i was paired with them. I know when they hatch whatever they see first will be the first thing it eats so for now the egg case is just in my tank and when its bigger I will be moving it to a 125 gl i am getting very soon! :D

I estimated the baby is about 2 months old, from all my research and time spent at the AQ with our sharks I think i have a few months before it hatches (i'm guessing around dec?) i know guestation lasts 9-12 months but the water is warmer in my tank than what it is at the LFS by 2 degrees...

Anyone have any tips? besides the obvious get a bigger tank before it hatches!!! LOL thats in the works as we speak! :D would it be wise to stick my eel and shark together in a 125 gl? whats the best thing to do when it does decide to hatch? move it before hand (when its pretty much full grown inside the case) or just let nature take its course? I have no clue if it'll survive but i'm hoping for the best!!

Keep us posted and with lots of pics!!!! You working at the aquarium will be lots of help to you. Ask people there what kind of care the baby shark needs. What kind of shark egg is it or do you not know?

Also keep it away from those finning boats!!!!!:shock:

At one of my LFS they got 3 sharks (about 2-3 feet each) and at least one eel (pretty big guy too) in their display, so they should be fine together. Are you going to hatch an eel too? :lol:

I don't know the first thing about hatching sharks though...but would be very interested to learn what you find out. What about the LFS that gave you the case? Did he have any advice for you?

I'm not sure if its a bamboo shark but thats what it looks like, Im gonna be taking plenty of pictures and watching the growth soooo much! :D the whole day i've been firmly planted on my bed watching! :D

And no pics yet.:grumble: :mrgreen:

Sorry I cant offer any help with the shark egg.But I'm sure you'll do great with it.

lol oh yote!!! i was so excited I forgot!! :D

Here is a video instead! the pictures don't work all that well because its still in an egg and i cant exactly get it all down... Altho my sisters camera got some really nice ones my new crab and shrimp, as well as a really neat one of the baby.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW5L5lbf1gU]YouTube - Baby Shark[/ame]

altho, i do have one worry, i found out that my bf and his family bought me a ticket to hawaii for dec 26th-jan 3rd!!! I've NEVER been to hawaii let alone outta the state so this is gonna be BOMB!!! I am very worried about my tank and will be taking every chance i get to teach my family the ins and outs before i leave for that long. they did great for the 4 day trip but 2 weeks? :p lol we'll halfta see how it goes...

Well no doubt you'll have to cancel that trip and give me the ticket. I'll just tag along with them. Won't be in the way too much. I'll just blend into the background.

Will we be having an ocean view room? If not I'll have to reconsider. Sorry. :lol:

oh yes, ocean view! of TURTLE BAY!! :D :D :D :D :D

our trip is already mapped out with us and one other large family of 10 (giving us a total of 21 people between 2 familys plus me!! LOL). im pretty sure it will be very cramped in our tiny bungalow ;D

I would think someone from the aquarium would be happy to look after your tank for you, no?

oh yes, ocean view! of TURTLE BAY!! :D :D :D :D :D

Tell me you're dive certified!?!?!?! :shock: There's such great diving out there! The only thing that can be rough is those winter storms...no fun diving during those bad boys.

I would think someone from the aquarium would be happy to look after your tank for you, no?.
the aquarium is 2 hours from where i live :lol:

Tell me you're dive certified!?!?!?! :shock: There's such great diving out there! The only thing that can be rough is those winter storms...no fun diving during those bad boys.

and I WISH!! that was supposed to be my christmas present from my parents but i had an accident and bruised my brain in 3 places... :( so i can't be under much pressure at all... i can't even hike to halfdome anymore because of it... so i was told by the dive people here i could get certified but not as a full fledged diver... i'd get like a disabled persons until my migranes go away... which hopefully will be like... SOON!!! i still have 5 months so pray they go away and i can get certified!

Do you live north of it or south of it?

:shock: Sorry to hear about you accident; definitely hope your migrains go away in time...if not, how bad is snorkling?

I live north of it...

yea the accident was crazy... and i'm suffering major from it (boo on that). Snorkling is fine but... i really wanna dive!!! lol

I live north of it...

yea the accident was crazy... and i'm suffering major from it (boo on that). Snorkling is fine but... i really wanna dive!!! lol

How far are you from Hayward? XxKnckleheadxX is supposed to be from there, maybe he can help you out.

:x:...I'll be crossin' my fingers for ya hoping you get to dive

That shark egg looks awesome!!

Looks like it is already trying to eat the clown:mrgreen:

Sorry to hear about the accident, I would love to get certified in diving but being from the mid west kinda limits where I can go. I know the great lakes but I would love to be able to just throw the gear in my tuck and head out to the reef.

I am jealous of you coast people:grumble:

Hope you have a great trip to Hawaii

ahh!! AMAZING NEWS!!!

one of my co-workers at the aquarium has generously DONATED me a 210 gl!!!! :O!!!! they have it all setup and its been a shark tank for the aquarium to raise them for a bit and then bring them over (its one of our top shark aquarists) for display, so for now they told me to keep my egg in the 20gl because of my water conditions, watch it everyday and make sure theres a lot of movement for and on it.

the only catch was when it was too big i would donate the shark to the aquarium and i would be allowed to choose which exhibit it will go into, tag it, and be able to access its records at anytime and there will be a nice lil plaque on our wall with the rest of the donors stating "____ Shark donated by Cesilie Keller" :DDDDDDDD lol! I'm super stoked about this whole thing! babys doing great all wrigglin' and i can see its fins starting to form! :)

Back