Shark Egg Case!!

not one bit!! this has been a good week. my grandma just brought me a bi-color angel! shes prettttty ;D :D and we got a new puppy 2 days ago!! crazy animal packed week! LOL

Often times when a shark emerges from the egg case, it will still have some yolk sack visible and available for it's nutrition. If there is still a visible yolk sack, the newly born shark will probably not feed until after the remaining yolk sack is consumed. If you want to get a really good view of the developing shark and are confident in your surgery skills, you can use an Xacto knife and cut a small window the egg case and then crazy glue a thin piece of plastic to it for a window. The procedure is often done by public aquariums that want to show visitors how the shark develops and I have successfully done procedure several times back in my university days .

Last edited:
Often times when a shark emerges from the egg case, it will still have some yolk sack visible and available for it's nutrition. If there is still a visible yolk sack, the newly born shark will probably not feed until after the remaining yolk sack is consumed. If you want to get a really good view of the developing shark and are confident in your surgery skills, you can use an Xacto knife and cut a small window the egg case and then crazy glue a thin piece of plastic to it for a window. The procedure is often done by public aquariums that want to show visitors how the shark develops and I have successfully done procedure several times back in my university days .

I've actually done that up at the monterey bay aquarium (i think youre new here? lol i work there :) ) and have done that with a few of the skate egg cases... but being i had lots of help around i was more confident... with this one I can see it well enough that i can make out all the fins, the eyes, where the gill slits are starting to form and the yolk etc... its already gotten bigger!!! :D i'm super excited for it, just worried i'll miss the hatching and be in school when it does decide to enter this big new world

lol, you can set-up a web cam and watch it on your cell phone...so young and already a paranoid mother :lol:

LOL i wish!! my comps at school with me all day... my phone is not cool enough to host videos... i can't even get online with it :grumble:

Not that we all have the disposeable income for it (even though we spend it on our tanks like we do :frustrat:), but just in case your brother gets some crazy record deal and wants to be super nice, you can get him to buy you one of these Cool Tools: Remote Web Cam

:mrgreen:

thats awesome! :D and my bro is mad at me right now lol... over some stupid stuff so he isn't "talking" to me... we don't live in the same house anymore so for about a month i haven't heard a peep from him... oh well, boys will be boys eh? LOL.

I just found out what kind of shark it is!!! :D this morning i woke up and saw BANDS on it! :DDDDDD so hooray for a banded cat shark! :D thats what i had thought it was by the body shape and the stripes just confirmed it :D

Back