Shark egg

oh boy, where do I begin... how long has your tank been setup? have you done prior research about shark care? What type of shark was your egg labeled as?

I've raised a few eggs at the monterey bay aquarium and a few here at home....

biggest thing is water quality, temp, and constant attention.... if you've got a shark that stops breathing constantly or gets tangled you could be in a world of mess... I had to preform "shark cpr" (basically squeezing the egg case to get the shark breathing again) quite a few times on my last shark...

REALLY REALLY REALLY watch those other fish you have in the tank, Tangs and Angels will try to chow down on the egg case becuase it looks (and tastes) like algae. Make sure they don't pop a hole and lose the liquid in the case... You also have to watch how you have it sitting in your tank. Is it on a clip? if so do you have it to where water can flow freely longways into the case? (they have tiny "grooves" to allow water flow to oxgynate the baby). make sure it doesn't pinch the lil dude if so.

Please post pics :) I am a HUGE shark person (hence the username lol) and am always down to help a fellow shark enthusiast, jsut please remember if this is something your'e not sure on or haven't had your tank setup very long that a shark is NOT a good thing to be working with right now, they require lots of attention even if they are just an egg

Well I really hope I don't have to do any cpr. All my leaves & temps are fine & running good. I need a new sock in my sump, but thats a easy fix. I will keep an eye on my yellow tank & other fish. They really don't pick on any plants because I put in sea weed for them, so am hopping they will not bug the egg. I will put up some picks today or tomorrow. The only problem is my tank is only 125. I only plan on having the shark for 2 years, then trade it in for a new shark egg. My store plans on putting in a shark tank where it will have more room to keep it happy.

It's a Bamboo shark.

a shark in a 125 for two years is a long time... i keep my sharks in my 75 for a month or two if even that- I know a 125 is a bit bigger but isn't adequate enough for sharks...
Bamboos can reach 3-4 feet and regardless of what people say that sharks grow slowly-bamboos grow realtively fast. I had a 10" marbled bamboo i picked up and had in my 75 for a few weeks and when I took her into work she was 12" long. In a matter of a month. They also require different styles of feeding because of the way their mouth is setup, I had fed my sharks because getting bit by one of them is rare but if you can't get that shark to eat first thing (or if there is a placenta left after hatching when that's gone) it's a goner. As SOON as you see it out of the case you need to shove some food in it's face so it gets the smell, probably won't take it (make sure they are TINY TINY TINY bits of something, fresh crab works great cos it's easy to pull apart for shark) but it gets them interested in food. Otherwise there is a good chance the shark will starve itself... My last shark did that as she was born with a huge placenta left over, tried showing her food and even after the placenta was all gone she wouldn't eat and slowly starved herself to death. What sucks is it happens :(

I would still watch. Seaweed and eggs look really similar to fish, My naso was always trying to munch on my shark and I had to create a barrier between them...

plan on having to do CPR. it's really common in eggs and its part of the reason a lot of eggs come into the stores dead... lack of oxygen movement and getting tangled and stopping their breathing. good luck with the lil dude tho, sharks are amazing, I just don't think they belong in the hobby.... I know I have them but I also work at the monterey bay aquarium and my sharks are hatched at home and then taken there :) it's easier for me because i have a place filled with experts and i've worked with em for 8 years versus trying to do things on my own.... if you have any questions or concerns please lemme know :)

a shark in a 125 for two years is a long time... i keep my sharks in my 75 for a month or two if even that- I know a 125 is a bit bigger but isn't adequate enough for sharks...

Ok shark man lol jk. What about 180 gallon tank???
Got this crazy idea for a dark rocky, sandy shark / ray tank with caves 'n maybe a predatory fish or 2

Currently doing some research to make bring this tank to life...
Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated too

=)

Rays need a minimum of 400 gals with plenty of open sandbed, which is why very few people can keep them. Sharks are similar but need even larger tanks if you are considering keeping one for any length of time.

Thanks you ladies. =)

400 min u say?
I'll building one of those when I go back to Antigua. See theres a little cove through a little passage I can walk to and maybe get LR, LS & seawater...or jump in and get some inspiration. (Seen a few sharks there too) (I'll take some pics) ;-)

You really dont want to be taking rocks, sand and water so close to the beach, its highly polluted. Its also illegal to take the sand and rocks in some areas. But the inspiration is always free!

So I've heard. I'll be sure to check laws and regulations.
As far as inspiration, it's a private cove with beautiful reefs
(If the giant urchins don't get ya)

And if you plan on taking rocks/sand/water, you have to dive deep deep deep otherwise you'll be getting "skimmed out" stuff.

Yes little_fish did mention the quality of the life closer to the coast. But I a tank in the wall would really add a nice feel to the home. Plumbing isnt complete yet so I may be able to make a closet equipment room nearby.

The house is also being posted on a few sites if you ever wanna go get a sweet taste of Antigua lemme kno =)

You can do an in wall tank, just dont take your rocks, sand and water from the coast. There are plenty of other places to get that stuff.

Back