Sharkie Hatched!

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
38bf26ac843e45488ef99cff6a28f1c6_7.jpg

Last night I was all snuggly in my bed asleep and my mom came in SCREAMING "IT HATCHED CES IT HATCHED". SOOOO I stumbled outta bed and came and saw the most adorable baby sharkie :) She's ONLY 4" and I thought she still had a few months to go... I added in some new corals yesterday so apparently she wanted to come out and see her new pretty home :)

now she needs a name! :D

Sweet shark!!! What size tank do you have? I saw one at my lfs last week just about the same size and it was awesome. Im guessing you cant keep other fish with them can you?

I have a 75g but the baby will be moved one she outgrows this tank (which doesn't take long at all). You can actually keep lots of different fish with them-Bamboo cat sharks are a reef shark so they coexist in corals, baby fish, and biggerfish. They can eat fish but the way their mouths are setup its not the greatest for catching fish at this size.

I would advise against getting a shark unless you have experience with them and have a large enough tank.... they require HUGE spaces (which is why i keep mine for 1-2 months after hatching and then take it ot work) and are really delicate in the egg and growing stage. I had to preform "shark CPR" on her a TON and she still seems really small and under developed to me but we'll see how she does :)

Right now she still has some of the placenta so she won't take to real food yet but last night I tried to giver her some squid and she love the smell of it. I'm super excited :) shes so adorable and already is enjoying sitting in my hand :) I will have more pics posted later

sweet looking shark, if i ever redid my 240 gal cichlid tank i think i would set it up to have one of these bamboo sharks

I have to wait for my sister to upload them :p she took pics on her "nice camera" because she thinks is better than my point and shoot.... but I have plenty more pics :)

Right now she isn't eating anything because she still has the placenta attached (they feed off that until its gone which can last between 1-2 weeks after hatching) but she has taken a liking to hte smell of squid. I usually feed my sharks squid, silversides, a special shark vitamin mush formula so she gets her nutrients, crab, and sometimes a piece of clam. Sharks have a really vaired diet out in the wild but the lil guys mainly eat things like crab and small fish because of their mouth setup. They are more of a crusher rather than a biter. One of the hardest thing to do is get a shark eating, right now I know with the placenta she won't take to eating... once thats gone the challenge begins. I hand feed my sharks and "target" train them. Kona (my eel) and my first shark knew that the tweezers mean food. I tried to get away from those since I wanted to hand feed. My 2nd shark was far more aggressive (and I didn't hatch her) and ate my life fish-and I'm talking BIG fish too! she chunked them out which made me angry SO needless to say she got a new home.... she never took to hand feeding though. The people who had her before I did had her in a lil 20 gallon tank (she was almost a foot long too mind you!) and just tossed in damsels for her... poor lil girl. She also was never handled/petted so she was super scared of my hand being in the tank....

This lil baby is doing great so far :) when she sees my hand in the tank she swims towards it and she likes to sit in it! :D Its probably becasue she had to of hatched within a 30 min peroid where I wasn't looking at the tank and was in my room.... mom saw because she was doing a "bristle check" (still gotta ton of those nasties!) and saw the egg was empty. when she told me I started holding and petting the shark. When you do that they actually establish a bond with you as something normal and not scary.

Last edited:
Back