sharks

I can't give you experience but can you keep one in a 36gal tank? Don't sharks need lots and lots of swimming room?

Well then 3600 now I wanna see that tank. Wow I can only dream of a tank like that. If I win the lottery I'm gonna have a 10k gal tank :D

As for the sharks I'd definatly do my homework. Make sure your gonna have enough room in the tank for when they are full grown.

That is a cool looking shark. From what I read it will fit in your 150. But like I said I know squat about sharks but would soooo love to have a tank big enough for one.

A friend of mine has one in his tank. From what he said, you have to order the pods and hatch the sharks yourself for some reason or another (I don't know, I don't really listen when he talks...). He said he went through about 3-4 pods hatching before being able to raise the young sharks into adulthood.

When I upgraded to my 180g I seriously looked into getting one. Very quickly I realized that my tank ain't big enough IMO. Here's why.

1. Sharks grow pretty quickly and they get to approx. 3' long. So you need that much open sandbed on the bottom of the tank so they can lay comfortably.

2. While doing my research, I ran across a rule of 1 1/2 times the body length of the shark for the depth of the tank. Which would be roughly 4'. (This is so they can turn comfortably)

I love sharks, sharks are what got me into this hobby. But after doing ALOT of research I don't think you can keep a shark successfully or healthy in anything smaller than a 300g tank. IMO anything else is too small.

I've read that it is basically essential to have a circular tank as well as sharks basically don't stop moving and have difficulty taking corners... but i suppose with a catshark like the Atelomycterus it wouldn't really matter. I also read that you need to have monstrous filtration because of all the matter that ends up in the tank after feedings

but i really really would like to have one but the old-lady will not let me buy a new tank i have a 220 picked out for 1500 everything inc.

OOHH!! Let me find my report and I will post it here for you to see :) I raised a shark and have worked with them for 8 years now :)

https://www.livingreefs.com/shark-egg-case-t20883.html

For many people in the aquarium hobby a shark is one of the most difficult things to keep alive, happy, and healthy. They are rated at an expert only level because of this.

This last year I decided after seven years of experience working hands on with sharks that I would try to hatch and raise my own bamboo cat shark. I was searching for a larger tank before I was going to purchase my egg and ended up being given one by a local pet store owner because he knew of my plans.

Be aware that taking care of a baby shark can be rewarding but extremely difficult and it requires a lot of time and observation. If you decide to take the plung into purchasing a shark this is what I would recommend you do.

When purchasing your egg (as most sharks you will buy will be cheaper as an egg case) make sure your shark pup is moving a lot. Make sure its gills are going and make sure the umbylical cord is not wrapped around the little sharks body. You can do this by shining a flashlight behind the egg case, PLEASE note you do NOT take the egg case out of the water... EVER. This will drain the egg case of the necessary water it needs to continue to function normally. If you see the shark is moving and everything looks good you can go ahead and purchase it.

When I brought my shark home we clipped the edge of the egg case (which is made out of the same compound as your toe nails! Gross huh?) in a fish algae clip so that the egg case would not float around or sink underneath a rock. Sharks need to be monitored in the home aquarium because sometimes the sharks will stop breathing....

A few times my shark had stopped breathing, You can tell because you won't see the gills moving. When this happens simply squeeze gently on the egg case where the sharks lungs would be (right behind the lil pectoral fins) every 3 seconds until your sharks starts breathing again. Sometimes the sharks will die as most sharks don't survive past a certain stage out in the wild in their egg cases.

Sharks require lots of swimming room. It is advised that at the very minimum a 220gallon tank is what they need. Sharks need to have lots of swimming room and not very many rocks in their tanks. They like to sit on the sandy bottoms and search for small crustaceans that live there. When your shark hatches it will go after the first thing it sees for food. That means ANYTHING you have in your tank is suceptible to becoming its first meal. They are also very picky eaters... Some sharks will never eat in the home aquarium and end up starving and die. Make sure you have VERY tiny pieces of squid, shrimp, silversides, and mussles on hand for when your hsark hatches so you can had feed it any of those foods. You also must make sure the shark eats it and doesn't spit it back out.

If you're like me and want to handle your shark make sure you don't rub them backwards.... it will mess up their skin and probably scratch you open... their skin is rough like sand paper.

I have tons of info if you would like more... this is just a bit of a report I did when I was working an internship earlier this year :) I LOVE sharks and am planning on getting another one in the future.... just remember, research is KEY and so is space and time... they do require a lot of work

And even though I do think they are better left in the ocean at least you told folks that they are difficult and to do plenty of research. I have a problem with the people that say they are easy to raise and no problem at all. You sound like you might be one of those experts Sharkie. Good info

My LFS had a shark about 2 1/2 ft long in one of their big tanks. It just circled around and around. The sand in the bottom formed a circle like track. It always circled in the same direction and its eye that faced the outside of the tank was really cloudy (probably from hitting the glass).

Last edited:
And even though I do think they are better left in the ocean at least you told folks that they are difficult and to do plenty of research. I have a problem with the people that say they are easy to raise and no problem at all. You sound like you might be one of those experts Sharkie. Good info

lol I'm no expert, i've just been trying to learn all I can about them....

Back