Shit!

HAWKS12thMAN

NWKRC THUG!
As most of you know I recently bought a male/female pair of blue chin triggers. They are known to be kinda like hippo tangs and lay on the sand bed and in rocks. Well the female was fine last night and all of the sudden she has spent all day in the back cornor of the tank lying on the ground. She will kind of move if you look at her but once you walk away she just lies on her side again. She is not breathing hard and ate really well last night. She has her dorsal fin all percked up and is showing no signs of parasites. Any ideas?

I did dose my tank with Marine-Max just before i wrote this to help prevent the disease from spreading.

were they a wild caught pair ?? if so you could be looking as cyanide poisoning. some irresponsible fish exporters use cyanide to catch them. it usually takes a little while for the poisoning to show its symptoms. this is just a possibility so dont get freaked out from this post. lol

if the dose of cyanide was not super high ... the fish should rebound after a few days. if it is a large dose ... the diagnosis is not very good.

I hope to god its not cyanide. I highly doubt it considering the fish are found mainly in Hawaii. My LFS had them for two weeks in a copper dosed tank before I bought them. How long does it take to show signs and symptoms?

it CAN take a while ... unfortunately i can not say how long it takes. 3-4 weeks does seem a little long to show signs. how is the fish now ??

I dont know how they are now, Im at school. I will find out in another 3 and a half hours. Im between classes for the third time today. At least this is only an hour and a half break not three and a half like I had this morning.

well shes sleeping now. my roomate feed them and said they all started eating really well. I started with garlic again just in case. I will know more tomorrow.

Shes not quite herself still. She literally layed on the sandbed for almost 10 hours, that seemed a little excessive to me. Im wondering if the marine max had anything to do with her pulling out of it?

I think I figured it out. The male has been nipping at the females fins. I don't know if its a territory issue or possibly just the way they are. He lets her eat just fine so I'm not too worried about it.

glad to hear it. i was hoping that it was not cyanide, but i had to throw it out as a possibility (hope it did not scare you to much). i am in agreement with Biff about them being known for doing that. mine use to just lay there behind the rocks for hours (before the rock slide got him). once they are use to the tank ... they are always out and about, unless they get tired ... then they just go to sleep.

Glad to hear that she is doing good, such a good looking fish...

I never heard thats how they catch the fish, its crazy..

Back