Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
So far, I've purchased the 180 tank
60g sump
72" 8X80 t5 lighting
reeflo snapper or dart for return
Octopus Extreme 200 skimmer
plumbing

What else do I need for this tank? I mean must haves, right now to start adding water? What about calcium reactors etc? I always used a two part. This is where things start getting grey to me....lol

Keep using two part until the reactor is similar to the price of the two part you are using in a month or three. IMO. You need a return pump from the sump. The dart or snapper will suck dry very very quickly if used for a sump return, they are more along the lines of a closed loop pump.

What are your plans for this tank?

SPS?
LPS?
Softies?

This can help determine how much flow you will need.

Snapper shouldn't dry out, its rated for 1500gph at 7 feet head, I have two 1.5" overflows.....I also have a mag 9.5, but was told that was too small

My tank with a mag12 with a four foot head keeps perfect levelsthats with two 1.5" overflows. Id tell you the exact rate but I got banned from RC and cant use the calculator, I think. You would have to drill your sump to run the snapper too.

About 250lbs live rock curing in some trash cans. Couple buckets of salt. 100lbs sand for 1" bed/360lbs for 4" bed.
Some obvious stuff but that is what I see.
Equip wise your making good choices. Listen to others as I have had very little experience with pumps.
What are you wanting to put in the tank. That will determine a lot of things.

I can still change pumps, it hasn't arrived at the store yet, what about mag pumps? I can go with a mag 18, but I am concerned about heat. I am running t5 only, but I'd be pissed if I had to drop 500+ on a chiller cause my pump is heating the water too much. I do like the idea of a submersible pump though so I don't have to drill

You wont need a mag18, you will only get 600gph overflow from each overflow tops. Each bend and change in elevation will slow that down. Put that on a mag12 or similar internal pump and you will even out pretty close due to head height. You can get cooler running and more energy efficient pumps but mags are common. Maxi-jet just put out a good internal return pump FYI. You need something in the 1200gph range, not 950 or 1800.

I dont know that a mag18 would produce enough heat to make a difference on a 180.I might be wrong,but I just cant see it heating up that much.
The corals you add will decide weather or not you need a calcium reactor.If your planning on a lot of SPS,then you may need one.If you like more softies,then you may not need it.

Just a fair warning,Magdrives are very noisy ran externally.My only concern is heat if ran in the sump,they are big pumps afterall especially the 18 and ups.My suggestion is to go external pumps like the Panworld,Little Giant,Iwaki(japan).

Equipment wise,the list looks good.The return will not be enough flow.Consider circulation pumps,wavemaker system or controller,or doing a close loop.

I really don't like the idea of a closed loop, because I am not drilling, I have to go over the top, and I find it even fuglier than powerheads. Unless someone can show me pics of a simple over the top idea that looks good........

As of right now, I'm going with a mag 18, internally. Heat shouldn't be too bad, as I live in northern ontario, and I am running t5's. This saves me drilling the sump. Actually, my sump has a bulkhead, but I don't this this would help with a return pump as its at the top of the tank. For the rest of my flow, I was thinking of koralia 4's or even magnums (2). Always open to ideas

Bob really you dont need a mag18 for a return pump. Unless you are going to be running three 1.5" overflows. A mag12 is plenty if you go with the 18 you will have to throttle it way back causing more heat and shortening the life of the pump considerably. The only over the top CL that I have seen that looked good was a one inch manifold that made a complete circle around the top(covered by the rim of the tank) with outputs coming out of it.

I'm getting very different opinions on what exactly I need for a return pump, I've been told everything from a reeflo dart to a mag 9.5. I'm figuring a mag 18 with 5-6ft head, and a 60g sump is the best balance of what everyone figures I should get....lol! And there is virtually no price difference up here

I agree with Ryan. The mag 12 is the right size if you are doing an overflow. If you are drilling and doing a closed loop then you could go bigger. Dual siphon overflow with a mag 12 should be very close to what you need. Just T off the return line and add a ball valve and run that to your sump. That way you can adjust the return if it is a little to much. 3-4 Koralias 4's will take care of the current.

With my 180 with a 75 gal sump(not that it matters in this case) I run two 1.5" overflows with a mag12 return wide open. No fluctuations at all none whatsoever. Take it for what its worth as its only my two cents but you will be replaceing the mag18 soon if that is what you decide on.

Back