Should I add something to raise my alkalinity?

adudle00

Reefing newb
So I've had my tank up for about 6 months now (14 gallon biocube). When I first started testing my alkalinity it was around 12, however I've watched it slowly drop and for the past, oh 2 months probably it's been sitting at 6. Everything else is fine, my pH is about 8.3, my calcium is at 440, but my alkalinity just stays at 6. I do probably a 30% water change 1x a week. I used to make my own saltwater using RO water and oceanic salt, but the past few water changes I've used sea water to see if that will make a difference (it hasn't). I do have some corals and they're all doing really well, from what I can tell and the tank seems to be healthy. I'm just a little concerned. Should I be? I picked up some Reef Builder by Seachem at the LFS a couple days ago, but I'm a little afraid to dose my tank with anything, especially since it's so small I don't want to accidentally overdose. Suggestions? :lamp5:
Thanks, -Ash

I've been going through a similar situation with low alkalinity despite regular water changes. To answer your question, yes I would add something to increase your alkalinity to a more in-balance level. However I would first read this article to better understand the relationship between Calcium and Alkalinity and how to fix systems that are out of balance:

Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

While you are going through this process it is critical that you move very slowly, and test your levels everyday. Dosing such a small tank is doable just be sure to adjust the dose accordingly.

My Alkalinity test kit (elos) reports in dKh so I've had to figure out how to convert that to and from meq/l. Its pretty simply as 1 dKh = 2.8 meq/l but if you'd rather not do the math I also found this calculator online:

SaltyZoo's Alkalinity Reading Conversion (meq/l / dKH / ppm CaCO3) Utility

I've been using AquaVitro eight.four from Seachem to both raise my pH (it was low) and to raise my Alkalinity. pH is now good and I'm slowly raising the Alkalinity. Good luck and keep us posted.

If your corals are doing well, then you should double check your test results, and have your lfs check it for you also. Sometimes our test kits get old or are bad. But, to answer your question, you could use "purple-up" to help raise your alk and calcium slowly.

+1 Smitty. Also, I would test the new water you do water changes with, check what the level is before you're adding it to the tank.

Back