Should I be concerned?

ffm

Reefing newb
Last week I got my CB Butterfly fish. The first two or three days he stayed hidden. When he finally came out and began swimming around, I notice a large white spot on his fin. He seems to favor this fin, but so far his movements and eating seem to be normal, at least for what I have seen of this type of fish before. I have attached a couple of pics to show you what I am talking about. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 105_0257.JPG
    105_0257.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 326
  • 105_0258.JPG
    105_0258.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 314
Hard to really tell, but might be lymphocystis. If so, it should go away with improved water quality. It usually develops as the fish are in transit, sitting at wholesalers, and in LFS tanks where water quality may not be up to par.
Just keep up your normal water change routine and it should be fine.

Thanks for the reply's, I just did my weekly water change and my values are
Ph--8.4
SC- 1.024
Ammonia- 0
Nitrate-10
Nitrite-0
Phos-0
Alk-Normal range for my test kit.

I will keep a close eye on him, I will let u all know how it goes.

Thanks again

You could try a freshwater dip, but try not to stress him out too much. I would hold off on this if tou are not comfortable in doing it unless the condition takes a change for the worse.

Great News!
When I got home today and was feeding Mr CBB came out of the rocks and the spot is almost completly gone. Very much smaller than it had been, I will keep an eye on him but I feel much better now. Thanks for all the reply's!

You should really give your fish a freshwater dip before you introduce him to your tank because it will kill all the perasites on him from being in the fish store tanks and being in the bag. You dont know the condition the water he came in! Keep us updated!

You should really give your fish a freshwater dip before you introduce him to your tank because it will kill all the perasites on him from being in the fish store tanks and being in the bag. You dont know the condition the water he came in! Keep us updated!

I will try that the next time. Can you please tell me the procedure or where i can find the procedure for this?? Thanks for the help

This is how i do it! 1st Fill a plastic container of choice with an appropriate source of freshwater, such as RO/DI filtered water. If you have no choice but to use tap water, be sure to dechorlinate it first.2nd To prevent unnecessary shock and stress, try to match the pH and temperature of the freshwater to that of the aquarium water the fish will be removed from. 3rd To prevent ammonia from building up in the treatment water, add an ammonia eliminating product. AmQuel by Kordon is highly recommended for this purpose, and it is a dechlorinate as well 4th Although an optional step, it is recommended that some type of antibiotic medication be added to the treatment water as well. Because fish will be confined in a small amount of water, probably with other fish, the freshwater will cause them to expel waste, which in turn will most likely foul up the water. A nitrofurazone based product works well to help protect the fish from being exposed to their own waste during the procedure. 5th Keep the water vigorously aerated during treatment. The simplest way to do this is to insert an air stone into the container. 6thRemove all the fish from the infected aquarium and place them into the freshwater. If you have a large number of fish to treat, do not overcrowd the container. You can do small groups at a time, changing the water after each group has been treated. 7th
  1. For the best results fish should remain in the freshwater for a duration of 3 to 4 minutes. If any fish is showing signs of undue stress after a minute or two, remove it.
Tips:

1. If when you initially put the fish in the freshwater they settle to the bottom on their sides and do not move about, don't worry, they usually upright themselves and start moving around within about the first minute. If concerned you can nudge them a little bit to stimulate movement, and if any fish looks to be overly stressed, remove it.
  2. Sometimes during the dip/bath the water can become extremely fouled with waste. By making up and setting some extra treatment water aside it can be used to do water changes during the procedure if this occurs.
  3. If you do not plan to quaratine new fish prior to placing them into the main aquarium, and as long as there are no signs of stress from being in transit, it doesn't hurt to give them a quick freshwater dip or bath as a preventative measure.
What You Need:

• Plastic container
  • Ammonia destroying product
  • Nitrofurazone based medication
  • Air pump and air stone
  • Freshwater
  • QT
I got this off a website to show you exactly how to do this because there is no room for era!

I have printed this off for future use, thanks for all the info. I am still learning bout SW and I need all the help I can get.

a freshwater dip MUST be conducted properly, this is not something anyone should attempt without full information. A freshwater dip will do very little to help an infested fish, the only proper thing to do is quarantine, if anything presents during the "quiet time" an attempt at correcting the situation can be performed

Back