Should I be doing this?

margaritaville

Reefing newb
New to saltwater, although have had sucessful 55 and 120 gal freshwater tanks.
Just set up a 55gal saltwater tank kit from petco.
Emperor 400 Bio wheel
added a powerhead
mix of crushed coral and live sand
The LFS said i can add fish right away with the live sand because of the bacteria in it. So i did put two blue damsels in which seem to be doing fine, they have been in there since yesterday and the tank has only been up for a few days. I would like to add some live rock, can i still do this or should i have done it already. (is it too late)? also wondering if i should use some media in the extra compartments in the emperor? if so what kind/size? Do i need a protein skimmer? LFS said no. Thanks for any help, any additional info would be great too.

margaritaville said:
The LFS said i can add fish right away with the live sand because of the bacteria in it. So i did put two blue damsels in which seem to be doing fine, they have been in there since yesterday and the tank has only been up for a few days. I would like to add some live rock, can i still do this or should i have done it already. (is it too late)? also wondering if i should use some media in the extra compartments in the emperor? if so what kind/size? Do i need a protein skimmer? LFS said no. Thanks for any help, any additional info would be great too.

Hi and welcome to the forum, great to see so many new faces :D - Even though some live sand companies claim instant cycling I would check your tank has cycled by monitoring water chemistry via your testing kit.

Cycling takes weeks to months to really get your system running right. I would add the live rock right away. I would also definetly get a protien skimmer, you don't have to have one but it will pick up smaller stuff than the emperor will ever do. Also I have never used the extra compartments in the emporer but that doesn't mean you can't.

Welcome to the forums!

margaritaville,
Welcome to the forum.I agree to all the above info.Damsels are hardy so maybe they will make it.The Emperor's extra compartments will be usefuls for phosphate removal later on.What kind of light are you using and what type coral and fish do you want to keep.

40 watt flo. Im going to do a FOWLR and i plan on a bigger tank this winter.
I really want a porcupine puffer, tangs maybe, volitan lion? have to do some research to see what is compatable.

Thanks everyone for all the help this is really a great site with lots of people willing to help.

welcome to the forum. ok to add your live rock now and then test and watch you system cycle before adding any more fish. be patient and good luck.

Back