Should I Dust?

U4BOYZ

Got Fish?
I've noticed a lot of talk about feather dusters on this site. I don't have one. Do I want one? They seem very popular. Are they easy to keep? Do they need special attention? Is there a particular species that everyone likes? Thanks.

They are easy to keep, and are a wonderful addition to any reef tank. They use their "fans" to filter out organic particles that our filters miss, and therefore they are very beneficial. In my experience they do not need any special care, but they are quite light sensitive--often times withdrawing rapidly into their tubes when the lights are turned on or off quickly.

They are! I love mine. There is nothing more fun than watching a feather duster's feathers slowly emerge from its tube until fully extended in all their glory. I should note, these guys are worms, not corals. (technically this thread should be in the invertibrate section). I had a tube worm come out of its tube once and it was the ugliest thing I have ever seen. When they are in their tubes with their feathers out however, they are wonderful.

As far as which species to get: You really have your choice. You can get them from as little as $15 and as much as $50-up. I suggest getting a cheap one first, becausem, if it is your first you will love it. Then, later you can shop for the fancier more expensive ones. I am not aware of any species of tube worm being more fragile than another. It all depends on what tickles your fancy.

Send some pictures if you get one!

Thanks for all of that great information Navarchus. I guess I'm going to go feather duster shopping. Sounds really neat.

Ursula,Check your live rock really close.You MAY have some of the mini-dusters that you didnt even know was in your tank.:D

They're not as pretty. They just have plain white tubes and white fans. That's what mine look like, anyway. I've got tons of them in all my shaded areas.

I started with one hitch hiker on this rock, and now I have 30+, some of them are several inches long (sorry for the blurry photos, they are constantly moving and I have a lot of flow, so I have a tough time getting pictures of them).

01-11-10008.jpg

01-11-10007.jpg

01-11-10006.jpg

01-11-10002.jpg

01-11-10009.jpg

After a thorough search and a close look at Bifferwines photos...I don't have any. Bummer. I guess I'll invest in one. I'm going to start off cheap because I heard that butterfly fish and tangs may make a snack of them! :)

Yeah, mine are purple and white striped. They are pretty damn cool looking. I wish I could get good pictures of them! I've tried turning the powerheads off, but then they just slump over and look dead.

What kind of butterfly do you have? It very well may be that you never see your feather duster during the day if you have a butterfly. Your feather duster's life will be similar to, well, similar to being pecked to death by a chicken. ;-)

Back