Should I feed my corals something special?

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
Hey guys, this will be my first post on this forum.
My question is, should I get some sort of special food for my corals to improve their health/growth?

My reef/corals are: Duncan/Red Blasto/Different polyps/Frogspawn/Birds nest/Xenias/Star polyps

My buddy who got me into saltwater tanks has some sort of calcium carbonates and zooplankton stuff that he feeds his corals.

Any ideas? Thanks. I love this new hobby and will appreciate any feedback.
Everything in my tank is doing awesome at the moment, just wondering if I should do this.

Some people do and some don't.

I feed my corals but do it very sparingly. My sps birdsnest I feed oyster feast, .5 ml mixed with tank water. I spot feed only with a dropper once a week. When I had lps corals in my original tank, I would feed mysis shrimp to them, but that was every other week or so. I had alcans, a hammer and a frogspan. I do not feed my zoas.

IMHO, feeding does benefit corals but it's easy to overdue it and foul up the water. Also, corals have pretty simple digestive systems, so I try to keep it small and simple.

Others will have opinions and there are many successful reef tanks where people do not feed, but like I said I personally feel that there is a benefit to the corals to feed.

Good luck.

John

Sorry, I just re-read your post and I don't think I answered your question, well in a round about way I did.

For sps corals, I feed oysterfeast, which I guess your would call special. For lps, I feed left over food for my fish, which is a marine blend including mysis shrimp, so nothing special there. I don't like the coral foods, ie filter feeder foods that you just dump into the tank and hope that the corals and others get it. I think its wasteful as a lot of it gets filtered out by your filters and it's too easy to foul up your water. I prefer to spot feed, which I think is more fun anyways

Good luck

John

Sorry, I just re-read your post and I don't think I answered your question, well in a round about way I did.

For sps corals, I feed oysterfeast, which I guess your would call special. For lps, I feed left over food for my fish, which is a marine blend including mysis shrimp, so nothing special there. I don't like the coral foods, ie filter feeder foods that you just dump into the tank and hope that the corals and others get it. I think its wasteful as a lot of it gets filtered out by your filters and it's too easy to foul up your water. I prefer to spot feed, which I think is more fun anyways

Good luck

John

Thanks John. I forgot to mention that I already to direct-feeding with the corals that need it. I just use a turkey baster and give him some pieces of brine shrimp and they eat it right up

Most people consider brine shrimp nutritionally useless for fish, not sure about it for corals. Many people call it candy for fish! Hopefully someone else can chime in on this

If you are already target feeding your LPS corals (duncans, blastos, frogspawn) with whatever you feed your fish, those are the only ones that will benefit from feeding.

+1 Biff...you can also try cyclop-eeze(sp) to feed your corals. Also, welcome to the site, glad to have you aboard.

Back