Should I get...

If he is being strict about what you can and cannot get, then I'd say go with one of the setups you linked to. That way he knows exactly what you are getting.

Why is it so important that everything is hidden anyways? There are some cool looking tanks out there that have a skimmer hanging off the back. You can hide most stuff behind rocks anyways. Dunno. This has me confused.

Okay, then find a happy medium and go with the 150 watt MH. If you really want that much light, and want to go with the 250 watt MH, I would definitely call them before ordering it and ask about the heat issues. If you have lots of stuff that you are requiring, then it's hard to get exactly what you want out of a prebuilt setup. Maybe you (and your dad) will have to be more flexible.

Okay, then find a happy medium and go with the 150 watt MH. If you really want that much light, and want to go with the 250 watt MH, I would definitely call them before ordering it and ask about the heat issues. If you have lots of stuff that you are requiring, then it's hard to get exactly what you want out of a prebuilt setup. Maybe you (and your dad) will have to be more flexible.

I will call them, but you think the 150 and 250 will heat it up too much?

I just have my 12 gallon system so I don't have anything that I would require

If you think that you could find all the stuff to go together for $800-900 then that would be great, but I don't know what exactly to get to go together

If you buy everything separately, you can put together that tank for half that price.

It is my guess that MH would heat up a 30 gallon tank too much. But call and ask.

ok where could I the T-5's

if you have the time could you link me to everything I need

I'm sorry for wasting your time, but I'm clueless

Last edited:
Heater, lights and skimmer not included on that one. Don't buy it.

I'm not looking things up right now, I think you should call the manufacturer of the setups you linked to before and ask about the heat issues. Don't be in such a rush to buy this. It's a lot of money, and rushing will cost you. Take your time and do some research.

alright will do

I just don't know what exactly I need to set-up my own and how to do it that's why I'm going to this set-up

I'll call them though

my email back from the guy at oceanreflections I will contact the actualy manufacture though

Hi Matt happy to help my pleasure, deciding on whether to purchase the
150w or the 250w Finnex will have a lot on what kind of livestock you are
looking to do, I would say you would be fine with the 150w with just about
every array of corals possible (softies, stonies, SPS, and clams also) the 250w
is a little overkill in almost all cases unless you are planning on doing I would
say just strictly SPS then it would not be a bad idea. The dual fan in most cases
would be able to keep you aquarium pretty stable 2-3 degree, unless you room
temp is above 80 to start out with then it might have competing. Please remember
we have the best prices on Finnex aquariums and would be more then happy to
answer any more questions my pleasure!

yea, that's what I am planning on doing providing I get this tank.

I don't need the 250 and I know that it will overheat

so I need to get the fan though correct?

Back