Should I Reinforce the Floor?

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
I'm thinking about upgrading to a 90 gallon, since I found a really good deal on a set-up on CL. But my husband's worried we would need to reinforce the floor if we went with a 90 gallon. It would be located next to a wall on the first floor, but our house is built on a crawlspace, so it's not sitting directly on a concrete slab or anything. It's elevated on brick pylons. With the weight of the water, rocks, and everything, it will be well over 1000 lbs. Anyway, I figure the folks here have a lot of experience with larger tanks, so y'all could probably offer suggestions.

A 90 gallon tank I really wouldnt worry about the weight especially if it is going to be sitting on the outside wall.. If you are at all worried about it just try to put the tank where it will cross a few of the joists.. :D

It's actually going to be on an inside wall between the den and the master bedroom. Would that make a difference?

I would just try to cross a couple joists with it.. if you do cross a couple then there will be no issue ....:D

If that internal wall is a load bearing wall, it would be the same as being on an external wall. With a 90 gallon I don't think you'd have anything to worry about, but doubling up the floor joists before the tank is filled and in place is not that hard (or expensive) to do. My dad and I did this for my 180. It took us about an hour and a half and was about $75 in lumber and other misc supplies

+1 on the internal bearing wall being plenty strong. But, if you are really worried about it- go to local building supply & pick up enough cinderblock to make 2 new pylons for support. That will remove all worry. A 90 is a nice-sized tank. Congrats!

Back