Should I Worry?

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
So my heretofore healthy Caribbean Blue Tang, Hermione, has developed a damaged gill plate in the last week. She is exhibiting a somewhat increased respiratory rate, but otherwise seems completely healthy. No white spots, swimming around just fine, and eating like a pig. I feed nori sheets daily (and sometimes twice daily depending on how rapidly they are eaten). And every evening I feed a slurry of Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entree, finely minced squid, and enriched mysis.

The damage seems fairly minor, just the very edge of the left gill plate is missing (the part of the gill plate that is an electric blue color). The damage hasn't gotten any worse over the past week. I haven't seen any sign of aggression amongst tank mates either. Hermione does stop my my cleaner shrimp cleaning station daily or every other day for a quick clean-up.

So, should I be worried? Is it possibly just an injury that will heal in time, or should I seriously be worried about occult ich (I say occult because I've seen no evidence of white spotting on any of my fish, but I know that it doesn't always cause white spotting)?

I would continue to observe the fish, but as long as it is acting normal and continues to eat, I would not panic and start doing medications or anything like that

Back