Shrinking Anenome?!?!?!?!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I have one white Anenome and one that was purplish.

The white one has found its home in the back of the tank out of site and hasn't moved.

The purple one found its home basically in front of the powerhead. Maybe like 7 inches from it and has been waving like a mad anenome for about 4 days.

This morning I woke up and it was about 1/4 it's size. I have looked up why and it can be so many reasons but I am wondering what you may think.

It is still the same color and the body appears the same size but it's tentacle thingys are so small. I was seriously shocked to even see it actually like someone shot it with a shrink ray. It almost looks fake like a joke.

I read they split or the wither away.

I have not fed it except for putting stuff in the water. Again the other one is fine.

Anyone?!?

You spelled it right the first time. I think a picture would help. But I'm going to go with pooping. Just because you haven't fed it doesn't mean it didn't get something on it's own.

Just talked to someone and they said it is normal. They shrink and grown and it is just normal for them to do that.

Wish I could shrink my gut that easily hahaha.

That's interesting. I didn't know anemones could shrink down like that. I think he's fine! When you say white anemone, do you mean bleached? Or is it just whitish with a little color?

My lights are Aquaticlife 4x54 White and Blue.

Besides my PH which is 8.2, my ammonia which is between .25 and .5PPM and my Nitrates that are just under 50 I don't know.

About the tank being set up I am pretty sure it has not been even close to long enough to have put it in there. I read to wait but at the time it came with my Part 2 of my TBS package.

I wanted to feed them but going to wait till I had 0 Ammonia. I never had any hint of an ammonia spike during my cycling. Probably due to the fact TBS is near by and I just took the rock home and put it in the tank.

I will be keeping a close eye on it but the more I read the more it seems normal for this to happen.

It is just white, no color I can see.

The other is white with purple but since deflating it has more color. Probably cause its isnt stretched out. I kind of tried to coax it out of the place it is but no luck.

It was first atop the rock then I found it under with its arms around the rock then it was suctioned under but near the side so all of its arms were blowing madly in the water flo then this morning it was tuck under the same rock but more protected looked but deflated. Like it is hard to explain but like it was trying to hide its body in a crack.

Ill snap some pix tonight if it is still small.

Combination of things.
Lighting isn't strong enough.
Ammonia at any level above 0 is bad.
Nitrates at 50. Really? Not good either.

Are you sure you tank is finished cycling? Anemones require a well established tank, usually 12-18 months.

Well it is the only lights I have.

Ammonia yes is not 0 but I was not aware of that being bad. i mean I know it is not good but it was so close to being .25PPM and it sort of has a glimpse of yellow which is rated 0 but it is not 0.

About the Nitrates. They are not 50.

My chart has a color for 50 and then it goes to 30 or 20 (not home now) and the color sort of is closer to the one below 50 but not quite there.

I was not even to the point to check that and when I did I was kind of surprised. I thought with all the sand, rock and the refugium I would be lower than that.

I was actually going to start a thread to see if putting the cheeto in the refugium now would be a good idea and help keep that down. I don't even know if that is how that works but I was going to look it up.

I never did a water change because the ammonia was never high but maybe I should do a 20% change just to make a dent in the water settings.

Well if everything is okay as far as water quality, the other thing to consider is that Anemones are just weird creatures. Many times we cannot explain what they are doing (good or bad) because they are such a mystery. One day alive and the next day dying or dead.

It's high because your tank is not finished cycling. I don't really think chaeto or anything will help. It may even be more harmful if you don't let your tank fully cycle you can be setting yourself up for a crash later.

The anemones that Richard sends with TBS tend to be pretty hardy and are selected to be able to withstand the changing parameters in new tanks. I know you didn't buy them on purpose, so that is good!

Yeah I am no worried. I didn't buy them I was given them.

I would not buy something without research so the more I read the more I know.

I wish I had better lights but after buying all that I have the lights will have to wait. I have decent lights but anything that needs big lights is out for now.

I can only hope they somehow make it.

The fact the one is hiding even though I can see it tells me it will emerge when it is ready and if not in a few days then I will be worried for it.

The shrinking one is right there at the top and has been hanging out.

At least I will be able to observe this first hand and learn. I don't want it to die but I can only do so much. I didn't even know about feeding it so I will try to give it a small piece of shrimp and the other as well if I can get to it.

That is my only beef with the mounted lights is that you have to remove them to get to the stuff and then you can see well. That is a plus for the hanging type but I didn't want to hang lights in my living room.

UPDATE: The Anemone has reinflated just a little bit.

I am currently looking for lights on Craigslist. I can't spend $800 for a new MH/T5 combo so to the list I go.

Is your tank 48" long?

If so, go with the 6-bulb Current Nova Extreme Pros. It's what I use over my 90. They are around $300 to $400 I think.

Back