Sick anemone

Mik

Reefing newb
Hi all, I bought a true carpet anemone about 4 months ago. Original size about 4" - 5" diameter. Within about 2 months it had doubled in size, very healthy, eating well. Suddenly about 2 weeks ago it began shrinking and looking sickly - turning from a yellowish white to yellow with a greenish hue. What do I do? Thanks.

Hello,
Can you tell us more about your setup? Do you have the proper lighting for the anemone? They require very high light levels -- higher than most corals.

Is it still eating, or did it stop eating when it started looking bad?

What are your water parameters, specifically ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH and alkalinity?

Have your temps and salinity stayed stable?

Thanks Sarah. 400 gallon tank, mostly fish and a few shrimp, hermit crab, lobster. Nobody seems to be picking on the anemone, he's pretected by a pretty good Clown. Tried to feed him two days ago and he didn't eat. I'm feeding him either krill or shrimpo from the grocery store. I have very good lighting, pretty sure that's not it. Temps / salinity stable, haven't checked the other vitals but did a water change w/ gravel cleaning Sunday. Thought i would do another mid this week.

I'll have to add up the wattage for you later and I'll update the post. The tank is drilled and has an undergravel filter that is driven by 2 4MD pumps, then I also have a small refugium (which I'm upgrading to a larger size) that is also driven by a 4MD. So I thought I was getting enough flow but maybe you guys can give me your opinion. I will check the nitrates tonight as well. Thanks guys.

I really think you need to get a powerhead in there with some flow getting directly to it... May help alot... I have a 1500 gph head bouncing off the glass directly on mine.. Once I got the position right I noticed a difference right away ..
:D

Last edited:
I really think you need to get a powerhead in there with some flow getting directly to it... May help alot... I have a 1500 gph head bouncing off the glass directly on mine.. Once I got the position right I noticed a difference right away ..
:D
Thanks Marcah, I will look into re-directing my refugium outlet right away, point it towards him and see what happens.

Hi all, I bought a true carpet anemone about 4 months ago. Original size about 4" - 5" diameter. Within about 2 months it had doubled in size, very healthy, eating well. Suddenly about 2 weeks ago it began shrinking and looking sickly - turning from a yellowish white to yellow with a greenish hue. What do I do? Thanks.
Update - last night he looked OK and did eat a piece of shrimp. This morning he looks a little "saggy" and looks a little off.

I have 411 watts of actinic and 411 watts of 10K white for lighting.

Nitrates this morning were 10ppm. I think that's too high, right? I'll be doing another water change today to see if that perks him up.

Thanksagain for all the advice.

did you get the tank new or used
I ask cause you said you have a under gravel filter and those are mostly used in fresh water tanks.
And if the tank is used and has had copper meds used in it that can make your anemone sick over time.

did you get the tank new or used
I ask cause you said you have a under gravel filter and those are mostly used in fresh water tanks.
And if the tank is used and has had copper meds used in it that can make your anemone sick over time.
Yes, it is built into the house that I bought. I cleaned it out very well and put all new gravel etc. into it so am hoping there's no copper - but thanks for the tip.

Thats not nearly enough flow for your tank. I would also get rid of the undergravel filter, it will quite the task but you will be much better off.

also you only have a little over 2 watts per gallon for lights which is way to low for any anemone
411x2=822/400=2.055

also you only have a little over 2 watts per gallon for lights which is way to low for any anemone
411x2=822/400=2.055
Hi Dart, what should the wattage/gallon be? Since I also have 411 watts of actinic should I replace those bulbs with white?

wont help you will still have only 2 watts per gallon you should have 5 watts per gallon or more for anemones so you should have for total wattage of lights 5*400=2000watts of lights and how deep is your tank if it is over 24 inches tall you should be using mh lights or good leds like sol ai

wont help you will still have only 2 watts per gallon you should have 5 watts per gallon or more for anemones so you should have for total wattage of lights 5*400=2000watts of lights and how deep is your tank if it is over 24 inches tall you should be using mh lights or good leds like sol ai
Tank is 30" deep, the anemone is about 10" from the surface, on a rock. I may have to get a spot light just for him. Thx again for the feedback.

Back