sick blue tang

emerald

Reefing newb
i have a 9 cm blue tang about 5 month. he had white spitting once, but he recovered quickly. i also had naso lituratus for a month and it seemed he is doing well untill suddenly he had something that looked like big white splitting and he died within two days. when i put him out of the aqurium i saw that my blue tang have many white splitting in his fins. i brought him onion and alga and he looks better now but there are few more white spits. what is really worry me is the fact that is tail began to fade, lose color. i dont know what to do. any suggestion?

welcome to the site!

We need more info like parameters and stocking list.

How did you acclimate them? what did you feed them? when you say 'splitting' do mean rotting? or were they spots? could be ich or fin rot. or even hlle if you mean a white line along their body. it could be from malnutrition or stray voltage.

but more info on your tank would help. have they been eating well until they got sick? any bullies?

thanks.
i put them in a quarantine for two weeks or so then i entered them to the aqurium in the night ( i entered blue tang 3 months before naso). i feed them with nori seaweed, dry food planks and frozen food.
blue tang still eats.before naso died i saw nothing wrong. they both ate and behaved just regular. and i think its spots.

I think the problem is that you have them in a tank that is FAR too tiny for them. Your tank is about 20 gal when full, and both of these fish need to be in 8ft long, 200+ gallon tanks. The constant stress of being in such a small tank is making them stressed to the point where they are dying.

I think the problem is that you have them in a tank that is FAR too tiny for them. Your tank is about 20 gal when full, and both of these fish need to be in 8ft long, 200+ gallon tanks. The constant stress of being in such a small tank is making them stressed to the point where they are dying.

Just going by his sig, it says 800L not 80L Which is closer to 200 gallons.

What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, salinity?

Could be anything. If you qt'd just for observation but didn't treat, then if they had ich, they'd still have it. I don't think 2 weeks is long enough, though. Not sure. But if your parameters are fine, it could just be that they were just sickly anyway. Besides....at 9cm, the blue tang is just too young, and didn't have the best chances to survive. If you got a bigger one, they'd probably have a better chance. If he's eating, hopefully he'll be able to fight whatever ails him. No point treating it unless you plan to treat ALL fish in qt and leave your dt fallow (fishless) for a few months to kill of the parasites.

well..
temp: 25 degrees.
salinity: 1.024
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 2
other habitant in the tank: 3 percula clowns, one yellow tang, five pajama cardimals, one fire srimp and one scarlet cleaner srimp.
i 've not treat with anything.
i change the water every month and a half, about 20%.

I would up those water changes, you should be doing 20% about every two weeks, or 10% every week.

Think you could snap a pic of the tang?

You still haven't answered the question of what you mean by ' spitting' - do you mean a bunch of little white spots on the fish? This is likely ich, but a photo of the fish will help us confirm that

What was the QT procedure? Did you treat wioh copper during the two weeks? Was anything evident on the fish during that time?

Are any other fish exhibiting symptoms similar to these or acting unusual in some way?

As stated a picture would be very helpful if you can get one.

Either way that fish is very small. From everything ove read extreme juveniles tend to be significantly morte dfficult to introduce and keep in the aquarium. Did you acclimated the fish between the quarantine and the DT?

Back