Sick fish?

ErinCahir

Sausage Wrangler
Good morning all...

So some of my fish are not doing so hot. The only thing that has changed in my tank is I added two Korelia's on Friday afternoon (I rinsed them before I put them in the tank).
Saturday morning, everyone was fine. They all came out for breakfast and ate. Saturday evening, my Lemonpeel and Sailfin were not looking great. Neither ate. Both were intermittently hovering and laying on the sand.
This morning, the Lemonpeel is fine. Breakfast time, he ate, as well as the clowns, the goby and the lawnmower. The trigger grabbed a mouthful and went back to the rocks. No Sailfin, no Tomini.
Parameters are all good (pH 8.1, 0 for Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia and Phosphate, Calcium is 460, kh is 9). All the corals look great, which makes me think it's nothing to do with my water.

What do you guys think?

That's weird. I'm not jumping to conclusions here..but did you get the Koralias form the store or second hand?

I doubt they have anything to do with it, just coincidence.

Did you do anything out of the ordinary in the house in the last few days?

were the fish possibly still "sleepy" when you fed them this morning? I have to wait about 30 minutes after my fish come out to feed, the Trigger is always the last one out of bed in the morning.

Just throwing things out there.

When you fed them this morning was it at a different time than usual because you are worried about them?

Nope. I got them new from Fosters and Smith. Nothing different in the house...

No big cuc deaths, I suppose I could be missing one or two, but nothing huge.

I fed at the regular time this morning... and I feed an hour after the lights come on.

I just found my Tomini dead... the Sailfin and the Niger are holed up in the rocks... they're both breathing heavily.

Maybe some stray voltage if one of the power heads were bad. I wouldn't even really know how to test for that though. Just a thought that popped into my head.

Maybe some stray voltage if one of the power heads were bad. I wouldn't even really know how to test for that though. Just a thought that popped into my head.

That's a good point. Do you have a voltage tester? or if you've got a small cut on your hand put your hand in the tank..

I don't have one.... but I do have some serious cuts on my hands right now. And it didn't feel any different when I put my hands in the tank.

Wait... it's just like a voltmeter, right? Because we have one of those. But wouldn't my cleaner be hurting if that was the case?

I'll test for it anyway. And by that I mean I'll get the husband to do it.

Good news... the trigger is out and looking normal, if not skittish.
Bad news... the Sailfin is not. :(

Update again...
I lost the Sailfin... and then I had to move half my rock to get to him.
The good news is, the trigger looks like he's feeling a bit better. Hopefully he'll eat tonight.

This fish stuff sound so depressing... :( Is there any possibility that the food you were feeding was bad? I mean, if nothing is wrong with your corals and you don't think it has anything to with the water then there aren't many possibilities. Usually anything that's going to kill your fish will probably kill your corals. Do you have an anemone or any other sensitive invertebrates that seem to be affected?

Nope. Nothing was affected aside from the big fish. My snails and crabs are fine, my cleaner is fine, my little fish are fine. Corals are fine (i would even venture better than fine, my hammer split today). I suppose the food could've been bad, but I would think the other fish would be affected as well...
The trigger has been in the rocks all day today... I've caught a glimpse of him a couple times, he doesn't look too bad...

I'm so sorry to hear for your losses :( Those were awesome fish, too!

I had the same mysterious death happen in my 10g a couple of years ago. I only had a clown goby for a few weeks, and he was super healthy. one day, I added a new HOB skimmer.....rinsed it, hooked it up. Within a day, the goby was dead :( Just an odd thing that you added new equipment and then out of no where, deaths. Maybe the new equipment stirred something yuckky up? Just odd.

It's a good thing my eel is so tough, my father just got a new mini power head (250 gph piece of :pooh:) and I put it in without even rinsing it. I need to start being more careful...

Back