Sick Hanna

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
OK, so, I'm not really sure what this is, but it looks like it's in the early stages of infecting my Longfin Bannerfish. She has 2 spots (so far) on her rear fin, one just under the dorsal, so it's harder to see, and another a little lower down. The one under the dorsal is a dark gray color, and the second one is lighter gray. She hasn't got any other spots on her other fins or on her body and her fins are not showing signs of fraying. The spots don't appear to be fuzzy and in fact resemble a little cluster of bumps. They trail along behind her just slightly. They are not firmly attached to the fin.

She's been in my tank for about a month now. I've not noticed any strange behavior. She is not rubbing against anything, isn't any less active than usual, is eating well, isn't hiding, etc. I've also not observed any antagonistic behaviors from my other fish, such as fin nipping or body bumping.

My water parameters are as follows (measured last night around 7pm)

PH..................... 8.4
Amonnia............. 0 ppm
Nitrate............... 10 ppm
Nitrite................ 0 ppm
Salinity (SG)....... 1.023
Temperature....... 79.4

What could this be? Is it transmittable to my other fish? How do I treat it? Should I dose the tank, or remove her to my QT?

Attachments

• Sick Hanna copy.jpg
    Sick Hanna copy.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 238
Really hard to tell, but I would guess lymphocystis. How long has your tank been running, how big/often do you do water changes and what kind of skimmer do you have? The reason I ask is lympho or any other bacterial infection is usually a sign of less than ideal water quality.

As in like 2 months ago? If so, it's a water quality issue. Keep up your water changes and as your tank matures the water quality will stabalize and improve.

I don't think she's going to make it. She is struggling to swim upright and keeps laying on her side or upside down. I have moved her to my QT. Is there anything I can do for her? Is it too late?

Usually when a fish get in that bad a shape,its better to just give them a vodka bath.
I hate to see anything suffer.And hate to hear of the troubles.

vodka bath?? um...is that a sleeping bath?

Yeah, you could call it that :) It's a humane way to quickly euthanize a fish that is not going to make it. Fill a bowl with vodka, catch the fish, and dunk it. It will be gone in a second. I have had to euthanize a fish this way, and it sucked, but it was better than watching it flounder and flop on the sandbed for hours.

I just send them down the great American Standard whirlpool. They will die pretty quick.

Vodka is fer drinkin' :Cheers:

Awwwww! My first fishy flush. :( I noticed that now my gramma and one of my chromis is rubbing against the rocks and sand bed. Parasite? Don't see any spots or indications of ick...

I think he means to get a bottle of vodka, drink it until you pass out (make bloody mary's, if you can't stand the taste). While your passed out have your SO remove the fish and dispose of it. This way you don't have to see it suffer or think about doing it. The next day you move on as if it never happened. Sounds kinda like a CSI episode!

Truly sorry for your loss.

Very :sad:
I hate it when one of my fishes dies. I quit naming them for a while 'cause in the beginning they would get sick and die. I haven't had a loss now in over 10 months so I have started naming them again. :^:

Back