Sick, Malnourished or Normail?

KidJ57

Struggling Reef Addict
I'm a newbie :wave:, so take it easy on me if you please; I've got a 58 gallon tank with 60lbs of live sand, 35lbs of live rock (still saving money to buy more), a koralia 3 blower, JBJ 100 gallon filter pump with built in UV, a JBJ compact fluorescent (dual bulb, one white, one blue, on for about 6 hours) and an automatic feeder (2 full feedings per day, and one half feeding in the middle of the night for my large fuzzy hermit).

Fish: 1 blue demon damsel (only survivor of 3 damsels that cycled my tank), 1 yellow tang, 1 blue headed wrasse, 1 fuzzy hermit (big sucker), 2 turbo snails, and a sea hare that recently died .

Water tests: Temp is 79 degrees; PH is 8.0 (up from 7.8, been battling that since the beginning, didn't know you had to add PH Buffer to your fresh water until about a month ago); Amonia, Nitrate, and Phosphate are all 0; Nitrates are 20ppm (high, I know, gonna change out 10 gallons tomorrow); and Salt content is at 1.024

Everything has been going fine lately, everybody is moving well and eating, no fighting, no problems until the dead sea hare, which, according to my LFS, ate himself to death "probably". What has got me worried now is my blue headed wrasse who has developed this purplish coloration above his eyes (pictured). I know his color changes when the lights go out, but this purple spot is definitely new; what I don't know is if this is a disease in my tank which may soon attack my other fish, some sort of tumor, malnutrition, or something that happens normally with age and I'm merely just over-reacting.

Sorry for the long post, but it always seems like the one's with the answers are always asking for more info; so I tried to include everything but I'm sure I'm forgetting something. In any case, I appreciate your time reading and answering my question. :bowdown:

Attachments

• Spaz Spot Close-up Compressed.jpg
    Spaz Spot Close-up Compressed.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 546
Thank you Biff and Yote for the input...I changed out 10 gallons and got a cleaner shrimp (Scarlet Skunk) today just in case since my tang has been doing a little excessive rubbing on the sand and rocks as of last night. We'll see what happens, luckily there have been no white spots showing up yet.

Thanks all for the re-assurance...I've been adding some vitamins this week as well as laying off the pellets and going with the frozen reef food, and his color does seem to be improving. All fish are moving around well and their appetites are doing extremely well also; in fact, they're eating the reef mix straight from my grabber...it's pretty cool. :bounce:

you could also add some garlic to their food this will help them to fight off any diseases such as ich (if it happens to attack) Its a great cheap preventative.

and I will agree with the others about your wrasse.

It helps boost their immune system just like it does for us. And parasites don't care for the taste either. As well as helping to incourage finicky eaters.

you could also add some garlic to their food this will help them to fight off any diseases such as ich (if it happens to attack) Its a great cheap preventative.

and I will agree with the others about your wrasse.

I've heard people mention adding garlic before, but I wasn't quite sure of the application. Do you mean take minced garlic cloves and mix it with the food that I put in the tank or do I just coat the food with some sort of garlic oil or powder?

I love how it's called "Garlic EXTREME!"...one of the most peaceful (kinda) hobbies around and we're adding spices...TO THE EXTREME :chair:!

SOLD!

One of my favorite pieces in my tank is my fuzzy hermit...he's just so entertaining even though he does like to attack the occasional snail every once in a while. So when I saw people on this site talking about getting rid of their "evil hermits/crabs", I was glad to see an "organization" :bowdown: that backed up these "misunderstood" creatures.

With that, I'll stop using "quoatation marks" and express my sarcasm otherwise ::pinky to lips:: :evil!?!?:

Back