sick ocellaris clown

kevvin27

Reefing newb
I noticed some very faint white spots on my clown earlier in the week but they were only there for a day or so. Throughout the week he was brushing against objects and doing something that almost looked like a ceisure. Other than those things he was swimming fine but this morning he was on the sand leaning up against the glass. He still gets up to swim a bit if the other clown comes near him but always goes back to the same spot and breaths heavily. He also seems to have a bit of a hazy eye that has a bit of redness to the outside edge of it. Would this be ick even though the spots disapeared? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

I should also add that a guy at my lfs recommended me to get API Melafix Marine. It's a tea tree oil extract thing. I've never used it before because I have to turn my skimmer off for a week but if anyone knows anything about it, is it any good? What do you think of it?

Melafix isn't really effective -- and it's not going to cure ich. There are only two ways to kill ich: hyposalinity treatment and copper treatment. Anything else will just mask it, but it will come back. The good news is, even if it comes back fish can usually get over it by themselves if they are healthy and eating.

The symptoms you are describing do not sound like ich. Ich manifests itself with small white spots. Your fish sounds like it has other stuff going on. Can you get a picture?

Maybe this will help you diagnose it...
Fish Disease and Treatment
scroll all the way down the page...it will give you some diagnosis help.
Hope this helps.

This is the closest thing I found based on your description. But I'm just searchning for you.. I'm definitely not an expert.

Marine Velvet Symptoms

If your saltwater fish have marine velvet you will notice a fine dusting or powdering on the fish. This dusting is actually comprised of many tiny whitish-yellow spots.
A fish infected with marine velvet may refuse to eat, hold its fins close to its body, and may scrape itself on rocks in an attempt to disloge the parasite. The fish may gasp for air and hang out at the tanks surface where the dissolved oxygen content is higher. Usually the gills are affected first and so the first symptom you may notice is increased respiration.

Last edited:
Back