sick tang

boomer

Reefing newb
I have had a yellow tang for almost a year now and he has become sluggish, pale and has not been eating and looks malnourished. What should I do?

Can you give us a rundown of your parameters? (numbers, please. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc)
How long has the tank been set up? What size? What other fish do you have?

And welcome to the site!

Well at a 55 gal tank, I would think your first issue is that your tank is far to small for a yellow tang. It causes stress and illness shortening lifespans.

This tank 3 years. The pH is 8.2, ammonia .25, nitrate 160, nitrite 0. There is a clown fish, snowflake eel, and 3 damsils.

Last edited:
Nitrate-160ppm !!!! HOLY COW ! When is the last time you did a water change? Your ammonia should be @ 0, did something recently die in you tank? It's strange that you would have ammonia in the tank w/o nitrite present. You may wanna retest your water. I think your tangs condition may be affected by a number of factors. Tank size & Poor water quality definitely come into play. As far as my own experience...the only time I ever had a tang discolor was when I had stray voltage in my tank. I fixed that with a grounding probe.

Last edited:
Well, I see three issues which were already mentioned.

Ammonia should be 0 - if your using an API liquid test kit, verify the rest with another test (ask your LFS to verify the result for you)

160 ppm nitrate is way too high, you need to figure out why it's so high and take the appropriate corrective action

Lastly, a yellow tang really doesn't belong in a 55 long term, an adult simply needs more swimming room than a 55 can offer

Back