Sick with ich?

newbee

Reefing newb
How do you know for sure if you have ich problem? New to the hobby and very afraid my fish may have it. Any info. would greatly be appreciated.

you will notice little white spots on the fish, increased respiration and they will scrape against the rocks to try and remove the parasites from their skin.

Brian

my hippo and coral beauty are hiding in rock and scraping a little bit. i also have a yellow tang, 2 clowns and a goby that are extremely healthy. the hippo and coral beauty will show about 2 or 3 tiny white spots

...then i go back to check the spots and everything is gone. i don't want to have to take all the fish out and make my 55 gal a QT tank. should i wait and see, or what???? no stressing fish, no breathing problems.

newbee:

Ich has a 3 stage cycle that takes about three weeks to complete....

1) starts off as a cyst in the aquarium substraite.
2) then it enters the water column where most healthy fish will fight it off naturally as a trophozoite.
3) The adult stage is finally on the fish.

The reason you need to understand this is becuase the disappearing then coming back is part of hte cycle so don't be fooled and think the situation is getting better.

Things you can do to help out.
1) Test your water parameters, 9 out of 10 times something is stressing your fish and you need to figure out what it is. Large temperature swings over 24 hours are also something you need to double check.

2) do a large 30% water change just incase.

3) make sure fish aren't picking on each other.

4) keep them good and fat, but don't dump in alot at once, feed them numerous times throughout the day.

5) raising the temperature into the 83ish range helps eleminate the cycle in the 2nd stage.

If you have to revert to medication I have had good success personally with Chem-Marin Stop Parasite 8 oz. - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store in a fully stocked Reef tank. However, it is pepper based and you will need a PH test kit to make sure the PH doesn't drop.

Hope this helps and i'll stop rambling.
Brandon

I just want to add medication should always be a last resort, because if everything is normal in the tank a healthy fish will fight off ich naturally.

you might also look into getting a cleaner shrimp or cleaner goby... I would leave the cleaner wrasses at the stores as they can be hard to get to eat in certain situations.

Brandon

my water temp. is always between 80 and 82 degrees,never higher or lower. i am having a problem with alkalinity. it seems to be too high,other parameters seem to be ok, kh is 13.1. LFS said this ok,but seems kind of high to me. one thing i did not mention is i just introduced the hippo and the coral beauty to the tank,they were not QT'd either could it be that they were stressed or shocked?

Parameter's are:
Calcium: 415 PPM
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Alkalinity: 13.1
Ph: 7.8
Nitrite: 20 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
The calcium,nitrate and alkalinity test's are done with Salifert test kits.The other test's are done with a regular saltwater master test kit.Don't really know how accurate the master kit is.

All fish look very healthy right now besides my female clown. She was almost eaten by the mushroom last night ,it closed up on her and wouldn't let her out, ende'd up squeezing the mushroom so that it would open enough to let her out.

If you just introduced them I would feed them well keep tank parameters in line and watch them closely over the next few days.

Your alk is a little high, but should be fine.

The only safe way would be to do water changes, i'll PM you another method, but I don't recommend it and wouldn't do it in my tank.

Brandon

No dosing. 30 gal. tank. Currently using Instant Ocean, but i understand that the reef crystal's have a lower alk. than the regular instant ocean so i purchased some today.

I think thats just the opposite. Reef Crystals typically has a higher alk and calcium level than instant ocean.

I don't think either of those have an alkalinity that high. Are you using RO water or tap water?

I wouldn't worry about honestly... once you get some LR and the coraline or a few corals growing you will be begging to have this problem, which honestly to me isn't a problem.

I'm not sure of any negative effect of having a high alkalinity other than the "snow storm" that can happen if the alk and calcium both get really high.

Back