Sigh... bummed :(

Dakwan

Reefing newb
I had thought i'd been taking care of my aiptasia...

hitting them with aiptasia-x whenever i see any and for the last couple week i hadn't seen any....

well today i noticed a couple on the edge of a rock that i couldn't reach (180 gal tank so can't reach the bottom) so i picked up the rock to get them closer to the surface. I noticed now that there was like 15! on the rock itself and another 20 on the rock that it was sitting on!

I had never seen more than like 3 or 4 in my entire tank before...

I hit them all as best as i could with aiptasia-x but the one rock is a foundation one and for the most part all i could do was liberally spray the area which im told doesn't work all that great.

Clearly if in one area I have a bunch then my tank must be filled with them even though I can't seem to find any other big bunches of them

Not sure what else I can do other than A: get a couple pep shrimp (which seems to have mixed results from reading i've done) which i'm not too fond of as im doing alot of travelling for work now and want to avoid any new livestock until it is over with

or B: completely dismantle my rock work and go over each rock one by one... but not sure how successful that will be

blah

I have heard the same thing about the copper band.. supposed to work really well on aptasia, but watch them on the rest of your reef..

Honestly a few peppermint shrimp wouldn't be a big deal if you added them, they would have a very minimal effect on the bio load. They are hit or miss when it comes to Anastasia though.

Copperband's are supposed to be great at eating pest anemone's - and once those are gone I've been told they're even better at eating softies...

I think I might have been just been depressed last night :)

Sometimes the hobby can be depressing haha... I bought my tank established and it's been one battle after another trying to get it under control.. I thought i was finally on the last step but...

Oh well. no need to get overwhelmed. I'll come my tank with aiptasia-x for the next bit. If that doesn't help i'll get a couple peps and if that doesn't help then maybe i'll start worrying

I dont know what size tank you have, but I would honestly get 4-6 peppermint shrimp (less if the tank is small) and just turn them loose in your tank as Fast suggested. Adding them wont crash your tank - and they're scavengers besides aipstaisa predators.

I added a few to battle aipstaisa myself. Unfortunately my melanurus wrasse managed to get two of them before they could get to cover. I had no idea I had to worry about the wrasse eating them, i have other shrimp in my tank without issues

Back