Silicone inside the edges of the Tank.

hen loc

Reefing newb
Hey guys im starting up a saltwater aquarium, I want fish and reefs, I bought a tank that has silicone around the edges inside of it and I'm wondering If this going to harm the wild life once I have them in there??? plzzzzzzz help!

one pic

Attachments

• 20140507_203230.jpg
    20140507_203230.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 314
You should fill your tank up outside or in a garage to test it for leaks. It may need to be re sealed that caulk looks old. Your lighting depends on what you want to keep in your tank and is the most important part of a reef tank.

If you have any reservations about the existing silicone then I would encourage you to reseal it if that is something you think you can handle. The last thing you want is a tank full of livestock leaking. Yes, silicone will be inside the tank but once it is cured it will be fine. I like to use black silicone when I reseal one it just looks cleaner to me than the clear.
Aquarian is right on the light. So decide what you will want to grow as far as corals and we will be able to give you ideas on your lighting.

If you have any reservations about the existing silicone then I would encourage you to reseal it if that is something you think you can handle. The last thing you want is a tank full of livestock leaking. Yes, silicone will be inside the tank but once it is cured it will be fine. I like to use black silicone when I reseal one it just looks cleaner to me than the clear.
Aquarian is right on the light. So decide what you will want to grow as far as corals and we will be able to give you ideas on your lighting.

Sweet thank you, and how do I cure the silicone? ?? I do want corals, reefs and fished

Yes it is possible to have too much lighting for example my LEDs are at 65% for blues and 55-60% for my colors if I turned them up to 100% Some corals would not open and others would get burned.

Back