Simple Sump

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Hi,
I'm looking into building a sump for my glass 55 gallon tank, now that I've upgraded my light system. Since I've never had a sump before and am a "beginner" I would like to build one from a plastic Rubbermaid tub of some sort. I don't want a refugium (at the moment), just a place to put my skimmer, heater, filters, etc. I would need to make a hang-on overflow box too, probably. I've searched the web like crazy but haven't found any plans that look SIMPLE enough for me to handle right now that use a plastic tub. Any ideas?

Yeah, that's a good one. I also googled it and found a few that look easier. I don't need anything huge, but I'll still wait for a while, I'm having second thoughts about the overflow since my tank is not drilled and am worried about stuff that could go wrong with that...

I actually use a rubbermaid container with an overflow box. I have my skimmer and return pump in the "refuge" along with live rock. So far so good.

I buile my entire filtration out of rubbermaid containers. Works great. Just be aware that I have not put my heaters in it because I am not sure if they could handle them both. I put them in my overflow.

I'm planning one too with a rubbermaid container. Want to build a large stand to accomondate it, hide all the tools and have a refugium in it to control nitrates. Going with a 35 or 55 gallon tub. Wouls like to use an aquarium but since I'm a poor boy I'll go the cheap route. Good thought about the heater, nothing like burning a hole in the side. Maybe I'll suspend the heater in the middle of the first section.

For the stand I'll use 1/2 " sandeply ($15.99) and 2x4's I already have. I've built guitar & bass cabs out of it with good success. Put a tall trimboard around the edge and have the only hole in the top over the sump. If it overflows, it goes back to the sump.

I finally purchased all the parts for my sump and overflow. I have an HOB Aqua C Remora Pro skimmer. I don't want to have to buy an in-sump skimmer unless I have to. Can I hang my current skimmer on the side of the sump? If so, will it work as well as when it was in the tank? I also have a canister filter that I have a nitrate sponge in. Can this hang on the side of the sump too? Sorry, these questions seem really basic, but I've never had a sump before. Let alone built one and all the plumbing myself. Thanks.

Back