since im a coral noob...

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
Could someone put up some pictures of corals that are on the easier side to keep? i have a T-5 fixture and it think its likr 156W for a 40gal. I'm gonna go pick up a couple of corals on wednesday since i ran into some money to spare. I really like the bright colorful corals and crazy looking polyps. If you could post some pics of corals that arent too expensive i would appreciate it.

Could someone put up some pictures of corals that are on the easier side to keep?

Zoa's
zoas_11-23-08.jpg

zoas-mix_12-5-08.jpg

Paly's and star polyps
paly_11-23-08.jpg

Green sinularia leather
leather_12-5-08.jpg

These are my favorite to start out with Brain coral, Green Fluorescent Mushroom ,Candy Cane Coral ,Birdsnest Coral Pink. Just to name a few. I have alot of favorites!

Mushrooms can usually be found for a cheap price along with kenya and xenia and of which are pretty hardy. Look for local reefers who are selling frags and you can get some great deals.

LOL I hear that often, but I have had mine for two years and never had any problems with them. Mine have never spread unless I cut a chunk off and attach it somewhere.

how much calcium do you guys add to your reef? Also, do you add anything else to keep your reef healthy? Ive heard some stuff about "Reef Chilli" or something like that, is that just food? Lastly, is Kent a reliable brand for all the above, they have it on Dr.Foster and Smith and i was looking at getting somethin like that.

Don't add anything unless you test for it. You only dose calcium if you are using a salt low in ca or you have a high ca demand system (LPS & SPS). No need to worry about ca with soft coral.
If you only need to occasionally bump up your calcium, you can buy DowFlake, QuikJoe or Prestone Drivewat Heat ice melt (all the same thing - made by Dow). They are perfectly fine to use as a calcium supplement.
If you need to supplement your alk, use Arm & Hammer baking soda.

selcon is really just a vitamin supplement, and yes reef chili is a coral food. the only place that im aware of that you can buy it form is bulkreefsupply.com

Back