Singapore Angel???

lightcs4

Loving to learn
I really don't think I want the answer to this, but I'll ask anyhow. I have a beautiful Singapore Angel. I understand that Angels are not always good with corals. Does anyone have any experience with this particular Angel and corals? I plan on getting corals in the fall or winter, but would really like to keep the Angel. My LFS will take him / her back, but I would like to avoid this.

Also, my wife and I have been looking at a blue hippo tang. I read in one site that the tang could get up to 14 inches. Is this accurate? The local LFS said we would be able to keep one in our 46 gal. tank, but I don't want to cause the tang undue stress and don't know that I will get a bigger tank.

Thanks.

if your LFS says you can keep any tang what so ever in a 46 gallon tank, then you should never ever ever take their advice again. they're just trying to make a sale they obviously dont care about the animals just the profits

Thanks!!! The LFS is actually pretty good, but of course they also are looking to make a sale. I really would like to get the blue hippo tang, but can always wait until a larger system. I am finding I really like the corals (didn't count on this when I got the tank).

Still, I really like the Singapore.

however it wont just be a matter of a year before the tang out grows a 46g (im not sure how much they grow in a year) and you could give him back once he gets to big and make a nice profit, that is if you can manage to let go of him :)

I wouldn't take my chance with an angel fish and corals. You could try a small frag, that way if they do get eatin you only down $20.

I guess I'll just enjoy him while I can and turn him in when I go with corals. I would like to get a larger tank (might happen with Craigs list) but may never happen. Time will tell. However, the Singapore is a really cool fish!!!

Thanks.

A hippo tang is about the worst tang you could put into a tank that size. They are much more sensitive to stressors than other tangs, and hippos are especially notorious for being ich magnets. I would say a definite no on the hippo tang.

OK, Hippo Tang is out :grumble:.

I may just keep the three fish and look toward corals, depending on how the Singapore does with them, or remove the Singapore down the road and purchase something else that isn't too big if it doesnt do well with corals. I don't want to overload the system.

Thanks.

I have kept singapore (vermiculated) angelfish for 3 years. they are magnificent pygmy angels and are in my top three of pygmy angelfish. The once I have had were wonderful around corals. I kept one with just soft corals and I managed to keep one for a year with LPS corals as well, but he died in a house move. they are not the move active eaters and their tankmates make a big difference in their survival rate. the more in control of the tank they feel and less competition, the more they will eat. the more they eat, the less likely they will snack on your corals. They prefer meaty fare, such as krill, sponge, plankton, etc. if you provide their favorite foods, they will not touch your corals. if they are underfed or stressed, they will take what they can get. Clams are totally out, though.

I would try him with soft corals: leathers, mushrooms, cheap zoas, green star polyps. That is your best bet. I would give it a try. I have had a lot of success with them in the past living with corals. FYI, when you add a coral, make sure it is about an hour after feeding the fish and after the lights turn out. Angels are inquisitive creatures and will sample anything you put in the tank if they see it put in. If they are hiding when you put it in, you increase your chance of successfully keeping the coral with the singapore. Good luck

-Doc

haha top 3 of pygmy angelfish. Is there really that many? the only ones i can think of off the top of my head are Flame, Potter, Coral Beauty, Lemonpeel, the hybrid's and now the Singapore.

haha top 3 of pygmy angelfish. Is there really that many? the only ones i can think of off the top of my head are Flame, Potter, Coral Beauty, Lemonpeel, the hybrid's and now the Singapore.

heavens no!!! there is the poma (cream) angel, blue-lined angel, keyhole angel, rusty, whiletail, shepard's, ebili, flameback, herald's (false lemonpeel), fisher's....there are TONS. I just really like the Singapore cuz it looks a lot like a butterfly fish and has a much better chance of being kept with corals. Most LFS just don't carry them cuz the more rare ones are just too expensive. So most people just end up seeing the Potter's, flame, and coral beauty.

-Doc

...oh, and yes, in case you hadn't noticed, I am an "angelfish nerd". ;) They are just the best fish!!!!

-Doc

doc i still have to disagree they arent the best and the only two reasons i say that is you have to look at the coral tanks in envy and then keep walking. and because there are only two or three angels that still look good after their color change

doc i still have to disagree they arent the best and the only two reasons i say that is you have to look at the coral tanks in envy and then keep walking. and because there are only two or three angels that still look good after their color change

It is a matter of preference. Some people think sara jessica parker is pretty as well, but... well... she is a mutant. as far as not being able to keep them with corals and envy.......

Bestfulltank.jpg

-Doc

Wow nice tank...:bowdown:
Out of curiosity, was wondering if u had any trouble with the p.imps going beserk on each other ?
Am very keen on housing 2 pcs in my tank though...

Oh yar...forgot to ask if the so called singapore angel happen to be a Monodactylus argenteus in any chances ?

I think that one is freshwater. Ryan has the right fish, but it is a terrible picture that does not do that amazing fish justice.

-Doc

Back