Six Line and Flame Angel OR Flame Angel and Six Line??

BlueSi4

Reefing newb
So as the title says, i want to add a Six Line Wrasse and a Flame Angelfish, but i'm not sure as to which one to add first. I've read and have been told that the Flame Angel should be the last fish to add to the tank, but then i've also read that the Six Line might become aggressive with fish that have been introduced after him. So who should go into the tank first?

Tough call. I have that same combination, but came into it a bit unusually.

30g tank
I had a watchman goby and a clownfish first. Added the 6-line and he turned into an ass after about a month. Constantly bullying the clown and squaring off with the goby at every opportunity.

I have been trying to catch this little shit for about 2 months--half hearted attempts, but I'll take him out of the tank if he makes it easy. :mrgreen:

Finally just decided to get a bigger bully. I bought a flame about 2 weeks ago and amazingly the 6-line has been getting his butt kicked. He's quit harrassing the clown. He spent the first 2 or 3 days trying to assault the flame--and he got abused--rather rudely. He's still a little aggressive towards the angel, but the angel is significantly larger--so it just swats it's tail at him and smacks him around. I watched the 6-line get SMASHED into a rock last week. He was screwing with the angle again and the angel just slapped it's tail and knocked him into a rock. He swam off and didn't mess with the angel the rest of the day. :mrgreen:

Frankly, I can't catch the little SOB. If he happens to get hurt and die while fighting with the angel--I couldn't care less. He's a shithead. Let the crabs eat him. :twisted:

Funny thing--most of what I read about the 6-line wrasse indicated they were very docile and extremely peaceful. BS!! :grumble:

I'll never have another 6-line in my 30g tank. I might have a 6-line in a really large tank--like 100g or larger. I think if they are the biggest and most aggressive fish in the tank--it goes to their head and they really turn into a bully. But I think if you have a bigger bully or larger fish to keep their attitude well adjusted--it might be okay.

Honestly--if I had to do it again--I wouldn't even get the 6-line.

Wierd, My 6 line was one of the nicest fish ever... God rest his sole, poor guy disappeared into thin... water? Not a sign of anything, just gone one night. But he never harassed anything in my tank, I think he was added right after my 2 clowns, i added him and a gramma after him, and they all got along fine. Id add the 6 line, then the angel, or best case scenario if your tank can handle it, add them both at the same time?

It's funny with the six line wrasse, because it seems that in every tank, they act differently. Some say that it bullies every single fish that sets an eye on, while others say that it's a model citizen. I've done a lot of research on these two, and i just want to be sure that i don't add them the wrong way. I think that if i add the six line first, it might not get too territorial because the fish i currently have are very docile. By then putting the flame angel after, the six line will mess with the wrong guy, and since he's probably gonna be a lot bigger, i doubt the six line will go after him. Now, if i add the flame angel first, i think there's a bigger chance that he'll bother the six line when i put it in the tank. I guess we'll see what happens, or what kind of deals i find after i get back from Spain.

Why not add them at the same time?

Are you adding a six line to take care of pest.If not,how about a flasher wrasse.Most stay under 3'' and look so much prettier.A Carpenter,Filamented,McCosker's come to mine.

flame first. I know from personal experience. when i added my wrass (in my 36gal) my flame didnt take too kindly to it, but here is the deal. the sixline is a super quick fish and will out run the flame all day. it only went on for a couple days and it wasnt anything major, then everyone was a-ok again

Why not add them at the same time?

Are you adding a six line to take care of pest.If not,how about a flasher wrasse.Most stay under 3'' and look so much prettier.A Carpenter,Filamented,McCosker's come to mine.

Well i like the fact that the six line wrasse doesn't get extremely big, and they are also not known for jumping as much as the other wrasses. I wanted to get a christmas wrasse, but they have a tendency to jump, and since i don't want to have a cover in my aquarium, that was out of the question.

I have a sixline and a coral beauty angel. I added them at the same time, and neither of them have shown an ounce of aggression towards anyone. If I were you, I'd add them at the same time just to be safe.

I have a sixline and a coral beauty angel. I added them at the same time, and neither of them have shown an ounce of aggression towards anyone. If I were you, I'd add them at the same time just to be safe.

Since i'll be putting them in a QT, is it safe to keep them in the same one? I have a 10gallon QT, and i don't want to set up 2 different QT, that's why i was gonna add them at different times, but if i can have both of them in the same QT, then i will add them at the same time!

A QT will give you a good idea on there aggression to one another.I've QT 3-4 fish at one time in a 12g.,I don't see why not.

I feel you on the other wrasses jumping.I did recommend the flasher wrasses because most stay under 3'' buy yeah,they do jump.Then again,I think all fish has the potential to jump.

My six-line and flame angel get along fine with my other fish.No problems what so ever.
But theres a six-line at the LFS that has killed fish twice his size.There just one of those fish thats either gonna be one hell of SOB or a perfect addition.50/50 chance either way.

Imma address a few questions and maybe a bit more info on my tank.
I know all fish have the potential to jump, but i guess it's all a matter of the tank. In my tank, most of them seem to roam around the bottom and the middle, and none of them do any crazy dashes from the bottom to the top of the tank. The only time they come up to the top is when they see me standing there, which they know it's time to be fed, then they come up.

As of right now, i do have a top that i could put on, but it's made of glass, and with the T5, it seems to make the water a bit warmer, which i don't want. Plus i like the look of the topless tank haha.

As far as the QT goes, i didn't want to put both of them in there because i feel that once i put them in the tank, since they have been near one another, they might team up and destroy my tank. But on the other hand, maybe being in a small space with another fish, might soften them up a bit and give me no troubles, who knows.

Back