Six line that didn't make it

Piratefish

SPS Freak
So I have wanted a six line for so long but the lfs hasn't had any for months. The other day I stopped by and :bounce: there he was !! I took him back to the office where my tank is and dripped him in along with some emerald crabs. After 45 min or so I tossed the crabs in. I noticed that the fish was sort of doing a tail stand with its lips at the surface of the water in the bucket . I didn't think to much about it then. I netted him and tossed him in the tank. He swam around looking fine then hid behind the rocks. The next day:death::death::death: Did i not drip him in long enough? Yes all the water params are perfect.

Do chromis get mean? cause one of mine is really mean and big. I hate that fish. I think he killed my six line is this possible?

Anything is possible. How big was the six line? If he was bigger size than the chrom then id say no but if it was a smaller six line i wouldnt put it past the chromis.

As for the drip thing i think you did okay? I usually put the bag on the water for 15-20 min to get temp right. Empty contents into a 5 gallon bucket proped on a angle. Start a slow drip and after 30 min i increase the drops per minute. After about one and a half to two hours after i net and put into tank. Never had a problem...

Not saying i havent just started the drip in the bag and emptied the bag when it became full but i wouldnt suggest it lol! Ive also just floated the bag and after 15 min....added half a cup of water into bag every 20 min for about an hour, then added. Ive never lost a fish yet and they all seem to adjusted well anyway ive done it.

My guess would be some other fish/crab...got to it? could u see any damage to it?

The Chromis is much larger than the wrasse was. His head area did look funny like there could have been some fighting going on. I thought that chromis werent mean and just swam around your tank looking cool. Dude let me know how your fish trap works cause I may need to make one.

If he was already struggling during qt, maybe he was already sick. But it could be a multitude of things....sometimes you may just not find out. Is your LFS reputable? Have you gotten good fish from them before?

Pretty much any type of acclimation is better than no acclimation (but a couple people here have had luck w/ no acclimation anyway). I personally do a 1-2 hour drip (usually because I lost track of time, cuz I leave them alone and do something else....like post on the forum about my new fish LOL).

Sorry to hear. Hopefully your lfs will give you store credit or something.

The Chromis is much larger than the wrasse was. His head area did look funny like there could have been some fighting going on. I thought that chromis werent mean and just swam around your tank looking cool. Dude let me know how your fish trap works cause I may need to make one.

IMO...any fish can become territorial. Not saying thats why your fish died, but that could be the reason. How long had the fish been at the store before you bought it?

I will let you know how the fish trap works. Im waiting to see if Nemo is going to want it before i trap him. If he doesnt want him i'll try and trap tomorrow and sunday. I'll more than likely make a video of it =)

Yea make sure the store has the fish you want for awhile. Put him on hold if you can. I would hate to be a fish and be moved so much in such little time. Sorry about your six-line. They're awesome looking fish.

Well I have 1 lfs in my area. They will not hold any fish or coral for more than 24 hours paid for or not. It really sucks! Most of the time when cool fish or coral come in they are gone that day. I dont think they had my six line for more that 2 or 3 days. Credit I dont think so.

I will drip longer next time

Well I have 1 lfs in my area. They will not hold any fish or coral for more than 24 hours paid for or not. It really sucks! Most of the time when cool fish or coral come in they are gone that day. I dont think they had my six line for more that 2 or 3 days. Credit I dont think so.

I will drip longer next time

Dang, better luck next time. Ever tried buying online? It's risky, but you might get a healthy fish.

No credit sucks. At least if you order stuff on-line you get a guarantee. Drs F & S have great quality livestock. I'd recommend ordering from them.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Back